Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Oil consumption and RPM's...again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption and RPM's...again.

So I know most of this is discussed about once a week, but a few more questions that I'm not sure have been thrown out there:

I have 27k on the car. It was serviced at 25k, and I'm almost certain the oil level was perfect a month ago after the service. It's now a quart low.

Question is: Does going into the redline by a few hundred rpm's every once in a while (read rarely) affect the oil consumption exponentially? Is it possible that this would be my issue and I don't have a leak/burn? And second, is there a way for the service department to check my maximum rpm? and could this void a warranty in any way? and if that is the case, is there a way to wipe that info out/reset it with a VAG-COM?

Before my 25k service, I was using about a quart per 10k give or take.

2007, 2.0T, 6M
Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Default warranty will never cover 1 qt/2k miles

In the bad old days, Audi would not pay for work on an engine that was consuming less than a quart in 600 miles.

Not sure what the modern warranty threshold is, but I'd be shocked if they would pay to go after your consumption, which is only slightly on the bad side of normal as far as I know.

My A3 with more than 25k on the clock uses approx. a quart to a quart and a half in 3k, depending on a lot of factors, including RPM, how hard it is driven (throttle opening regardless of RPM), engine and outside temps.

-dan
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default But, if it does need work...

will they be able to check for red-lining? and will that void my warranty?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My 2.0T burns oil like a 2 cycle

Since its only 1 quart per 2k miles, it's "within spec"

Complained about it at 35k service (and 25k service, and 15k service). Was told "It's within spec and there were no visible leaks. Sorry."
Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: But, if it does need work...

My =guess= is that they cannot detect red-lining through any stored data - but I don't know for sure.

But the warranty question is more complicated. If (and I'm def not accusing you of this) someone acted like a mega-jerk, the dealer would perhaps look very hard at whatever evidence emerged during engine teardown to see if the owner abused the car.

Back in the day, if we found things like bent valve stems or odd scoring patterns in cylinders, for example, on a warranty claim like this, we would begin to suspect high-rev abuse and would make a judgment whether to call in an Audi rep (remember, the dealer can get hosed too, if Audi bounces the claim).

-dan
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My buddy was a tech at Mazda and had a customer that said there engine blue up for no reason...

Then there computer readouts for the last 5 minutes of the engines life said he was doing about 130mph at 8000 rpms. Are you talking about jerks like that?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default interesting...

next question is, can you vag-com it out?

this is all hypothetical, I'm sure my car is fine...I don't abuse it too badly. I definitely drive it hard, and hit redline once or twice every 1000 miles, but nothing serious...and it's always for about 1 second before the shift...
Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Burning 1 qt per 10K miles is not bad at all. Audi/VW says 1 qt/1K mils is within the factory specs.

My 2005 S4 4.2 burned alot of oil. At least 1 qt per 1.5K miles. My 2.0T has been great and I haven't added 1 drop in the 4500 miles I've owned it. I have had a problem with fuel sensors.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The ECU on my BMW motorcycle records if the bike has tipped over while running... DAMHIK :(

I would suspect at least the MAX RPMs achieved would be stored.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That sounds average for this engine and as for RPMs

My A3 does all motorway (freeway) work and my wife has a Golf GTi (same engine) which is mainly town and she boots it (read constantly). Both cars go through oil at same rate for what its worth (and that rate is rapid by standards of other engines I know)

Quick Reply: Oil consumption and RPM's...again.