Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Odd CEL Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd CEL Issue

Ok, here's my story. I took the A3 on a trip from socal to Lake Tahoe last week. My car is an '07 that just clicked over 30K miles. Only mod is/was an APR flash. About 2/3rds into the drive and about 20 miles after refilling, the car felt flat and threw a SES/CEL light. Drove fine otherwise.

Cut to me taking my car to the closest dealer (in Reno, NV) to give some piece of mind that the light wasn't anything serious. They tell me there are several TSB's and offer to perform them all (including an ECU reflash that removes the APR tuning). I ask them after they finish what code the car threw. They were vague and said "oh it was something to do with a stepper motor and it's related to the reflash TSB we just performed". I drive the car back to Lake Tahoe and on the way back up the hill (still on same tank) the car throws the CEL/SES light again.

I figure I'll just wait until I get back to LA and get it fixed at my local dealer. I fill up again. About 120 miles later, we stop and when we start the car again, the CEL/SES is gone?!? One other thing: i purchased a CAN bus OBDII code scanner to check the code myself but for some strange reason, the unit doesn't fit the OBD port on my car. So now the questions:

1. Is there a CEL/SES code that could be thrown for something as simple as a bad tank of gas (low octane detected/high knock)?

2. Is the OBDII port non-standard on the Audi or did i just get a poor fitting (cheap) scanner?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1) did you overfill the tank before you left? 2) was the gas cap on correctly? Those two things can

throw cels.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1) did you overfill the tank before you left? 2) was the gas cap on correctly? Those two things

Tank was not overfilled and I checked the cap twice. It was on.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Default I had a similar issue recently. Got CEL randomly while driving....

I noticed no difference in driving. Engine felt fine. Didn't hear any strange noises or anything. Gas cap was on. About 24 hours later it was off when I started the car and stayed off.

I had my 15k service about a week after that and didn't mention it to the dealer. I wanted to see if they would mention codes found on routine maintenance. But they didn't.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Answers!

I had my wife take in the car today to my trusted Indie shop. They pulled the code and it came up P299 (pretty sure that's it) - Diverter Valve Fault. Car is going to the dealer later in the week for repair.

What pisses me off most is that if the Reno dealer had half a brain, they would have seen this code and simply replaced the DV. No wonder people don't trust/hate dealer service.