Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Just curious how you A3 guys like the DSG transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious how you A3 guys like the DSG transmission...

Im a s4 owner and just got a ride in my buddies M3 this weekend and wasnt really impressed by the BMW SMG deal. Hoping that someday Audi will offer some kind of SMG trans for the S4 among other cars and curious how you all liked it. Experiences as far as shift firmness, speed, reliability, and overall opinions are appreciated.
thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There's a few A3 dsg owners who came from M3 smg....

They've said that it's better but still not 100% happy with it. Hopefully they'll comment.

Try posting this on fourtitude A3 forum also.
Cheers
Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was a STAUNCH manual gearbox owner. Never owned an automatic in my life.

After driving the DSG, I'll never go back to a manual transmission again as long as there is a DSG.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same experience, I wouldnt say I would never go back, but

if its between DSG and MT I would choose DSG everytime.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the 6MT but got a DSG as a loaner once, having driven both

The DSG is by far the best automatic I have ever driven, BUT it's still not enough to make me give up a manual. It was fun at first but after driving it for about a week the novelty wore off.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You will get drunk with the performance of DSG being faster smoother but it may leave you...

feeling disconnected at times.

I love my DSG and it's shifts but also at times I miss playing with my gear shift. This is my first auto-manual trans car and sometimes I miss pulling off the perfect shift myself considering how DSG does it every single time. At the same time being able to flip it into auto mode and forget about the gears in heavy traffic really makes me appreciate it, then being able to smoke other cars with perfect shifts also makes me appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Elder Member

Default DSG rocks!!!

Seriously, it gives the best of both worlds, IMHO. Love it. When Audi offers an A4 Avant with DSG, I'd be all over it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Same here, have never owned an auto but decided to give the DSG..

a try.

It took me about 4k-5k miles to 'adjust' mentally and learn how the technology works.

I don't think you can evaluate the DSG on a test drive or a few weeks of use.

I sometimes miss the manual for the satisfaction gained from making a nice shift. But when sitting in traffic, which is usually the case in CA, I have never missed the clutch pedal.

In hindsight I'm glad the 3.2 wasn't offered with a MT otherwise I never would have bought a non-manual.

On an A3 if I had to choose, I would go DSG. If it were a light weight RWD car I would go stick just to keep things pure. The A3 is a heavy weight luxo cruiser, not a track demon. I think DSG compliments the A3's qualities and character.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Incredible mechanical marvel. However, too video-game-like for my tastes in the end

so I got the stick. SMG is downright clunky by comparison (as is every other single clutch semi-auto).
Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Default DSG is nearly flawless in performance

The only gripe I have from a purely performance standpoint is that normal Auto mode shift to conservatively (low rpm) and Sport mode is too hyperactive (shifts way too late). Seeing as how I use manual mode (paddles/shifter) 80% of the time, I'm not bothered that much by this.

The reviews of how the DSG gives a more disconnected driving experience vs a manual is spot on. I feel exactly the same. That having been said, the transmission performs fantastically, there's just no way to get the manual gate feeling back.

Still, the DSG is a fantastic compromise seeing as I can drive in full auto mode whenever I choose. Non-stick drivers can drive it and enjoy it also, morning commutes with coffee are not a juggling act, and traffic does not cause my left leg to ache. It's a fantastic transmission.

Quick Reply: Just curious how you A3 guys like the DSG transmission...