Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Is this a good price on used 2011 A3 TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were several in DFW and Houston a couple weeks ago but the dealers weren't interested in dealing on an inventory car or one to be ordered. I had to go out of state which is fine with me as I have plenty of frequent flier miles and will enjoy bonding with teh car on the way home.

Does it ever snow in San Francisco? My guess is that it happens about as often as in Austin. German engineered FWD cars handle very well, all things considered.

Originally Posted by a4cab_austin
I didn't see any New A3 TDI with premium plus package in Texas... other wise I would prefer New too.

I'm moving to San Francisco in 2 months, will FWD okay around bay area?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ben721364

I appreciate the low end grunt provided by the TDI engine v. the gasoline version.
Me too. We've owned several TDIs and numerous MBz turbodiesels
Old 09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

seems like I'm gonna pull the trigger on this tomorrow...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The hard part is that I was shopping with my friend yesterday, and seeing her 3 years old Mini Cooper with 30,000 miles on it has only depreciate $9,000 (from 26,500 to $17,500) That's pretty amazing!

Don't think this A3 TDI can hold the value as strong compares to the Mini, that make me give a second thoughts...
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Ben, it's somewhat coincidental, but did you catch this article today in the WSJ:

VW Jetta SportWagen: Diesel and ‘DSG’ Don’t Mix

I have been a fan of diesel powered Volkswagens ever since my cousin owned one in the 1980s. Yes, it was horrendously slow, taking 20-odd seconds to accelerate from zero to 60 miles an hour. But it also got about 60 miles per gallon and was more nicely made than typical economy cars of the era.

Today’s diesel cars, from Volkswagen and other car makers are no longer slow and don’t sound or smell as bad as they used to. And their fuel economy is impressive. VW Jetta SportWagen I am test-driving easily logs 30 miles per gallon around town — a figure similar gasoline-powered cars struggle to approach even in steady highway driving.

But if I was in the market for a diesel Jetta, I’d stick with the manual-transmission model and avoid the automatic.

Or should I say, “automated manual” or “dual-clutch transmission?” The Jetta diesel has what Volkswagen calls a DSG. It is essentially the same thing that Porsche calls a PDK, BMW calls an SMG and Maserati calls (or used to call) a Cambiocorsa.

It’s another name for a transmission that has a clutch mechanism like that of a traditional stick-shift. But there’s no clutch pedal. The car automatically does the clutching for you. And that’s where the problems start.

I feel like I could do a smoother job of clutching than the robotic system, especially at low speeds or while maneuvering in parking lots. With the diesel engine the problem is worse. Compared with a gasoline engine, the diesel generates more pulling power just as the car starts moving. The result is often a lurch or a lunge as the automated shift mechanism “drops the clutch.”

It seemed like the clutch engaged a bit too late to get a smooth launch and too abruptly at other times during my drives. Even while cruising at speeds between 30 and 40 mph the car would waver, its speed increasing and decreasing even though the accelerator pedal was steady.

Dual-clutch transmissions are gaining popularity, especially among enthusiasts who see them as racing technology. After all, Ferrari developed the concept for its Formula One racers two decades ago and later adapted it to road cars. But what works on the track or in high-performance sports cars might not be ideal for the family wagon.

Longtime diesel fans may opt for the traditional manual transmission on the Jetta because it has a higher fuel-economy rating of 30 mpg in city driving and 42 mpg on the highway, compared with 29/39 for the DSG. Others may avoid the DSG because they don’t like listening to passengers complain about the jerky ride.
<!-- article end -->
Old 09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I could not disagree more about the TDI and DSG combination. True enough I don't drive an A3, but then again the VW in question is also not an A3. So far my passengers have not complained about the DSG shifting and as for me, I pretty much would never know what gear was selected unless and until I look at the information display.

Without really knowing, I suspect that reviewer would be a prime candidate for a CVT.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2011 A3 TDI has delivered today. Hello A3, Goodbye A5.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Call Rector Motors near SF

Originally Posted by a4cab_austin
I'm in an A5 now, but recently I've decided move to bay area, so I'm considering switch to A3 TDI to save some gas also have a smaller car with...

Found a used 2011 with 7,500 miles and convenience package, the dealer asking $29,250, do you think this is good price?

Or should I get a brand new Mini Cooper S, currently has $1,500 discount and 2.9% APR on 2011 model, found one at $25,000 with base S model.

Can't make decision... looking for advises...! Thanks!!
If you are on the fence call Rector Motors, they have a few CPO A3 TDI and 2.0T models on the lot. They go fast though....

Ask for Sal and let him know Robert v G suggested it. He will run you through your options and won't care if it's an Audi or not.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I disagree with the WSJ writer based on personal experience. I als disagree with his description of the operation of a dual clutch transmission. <g>

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Ben, it's somewhat coincidental, but did you catch this article today in the WSJ:
Old 10-01-2011, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am not aware of any difference between the Jetta TDI and the A3TDI except (possibly) the final drive ratio. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Marley's Ghost
I could not disagree more about the TDI and DSG combination. True enough I don't drive an A3, but then again the VW in question is also not an A3. So far my passengers have not complained about the DSG shifting and as for me, I pretty much would never know what gear was selected unless and until I look at the information display.

Without really knowing, I suspect that reviewer would be a prime candidate for a CVT.

Quick Reply: Is this a good price on used 2011 A3 TDI?