Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Is this a good price on used 2011 A3 TDI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good price on used 2011 A3 TDI?

I'm in an A5 now, but recently I've decided move to bay area, so I'm considering switch to A3 TDI to save some gas also have a smaller car with...

Found a used 2011 with 7,500 miles and convenience package, the dealer asking $29,250, do you think this is good price?

Or should I get a brand new Mini Cooper S, currently has $1,500 discount and 2.9% APR on 2011 model, found one at $25,000 with base S model.

Can't make decision... looking for advises...! Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by a4cab_austin

Found a used 2011 with 7,500 miles and convenience package, the dealer asking $29,250, do you think this is good price?
In comparison, what is the price for a brand new car with the same equipment?

Is the car you mention a CPO car? What are the warranty claims against the car to date?

Do you want an Audi that's not fitted with Quattro
Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn

Is the car you mention a CPO car? What are the warranty claims against the car to date?

The MSRP is $34,400 for new one. And this car will under original new car warranty since it's still a 2011 model.
3yr and 43,000 mile left on the warranty. It's clean carfax, one owner, one scheduled maintenance.

A3 TDI didn't come with quattro...

The main reason for me to switch from A5 to A3 are:
1.) Do not want to drive manual in SF
2.) Smaller car for SF
3.) Better fuel efficiency on the TDI
4.) Lower monthly payment.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good advice (compare to new and insist on CPO if you buy used from a dealer). If you shop, you should be able to get $1300 to $1500 discount on an in stock car. There are lots of 2011 FWD TDIs in black on black available. In Austin, a FWD TDI should be more than adequate.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ben721364
Good advice (compare to new and insist on CPO if you buy used from a dealer). If you shop, you should be able to get $1300 to $1500 discount on an in stock car. There are lots of 2011 FWD TDIs in black on black available. In Austin, a FWD TDI should be more than adequate.
I didn't see any New A3 TDI with premium plus package in Texas... other wise I would prefer New too.

I'm moving to San Francisco in 2 months, will FWD okay around bay area?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't see any New A3 TDI with premium plus package in Texas... other wise I would prefer New too.

As much as I love Quattro in our Q5, I can't see much of a reason for AWD in a primarily city/urban car. Plus you should get slightly better milage with a FWD compared to AWD.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Will you ever head out to Tahoe to ski? I'd consider it a major attraction for the region.

If you know you are never going to live in an area that has snow and winter weather, the AWD thing probably doesn't matter. My only issue is that most people automatically equate AUDI with QUATTRO. A car without it is an oddball, and I'd have the concern about future re-sale value when the car is lacking it. Maybe you don't worry about that. I do.

Aren't 95% of Audis coming into N America QUATTRO? Why would I want to own the oddball of the group?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will you ever head out to Tahoe to ski? I'd consider it a major attraction for the region.
Good point, but the fact is that there's no A3 TDI equipped with Quattro in the US market... and I really think the MPG on the TDI make more sense for the high gas price area in SF.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point, but the fact is that there's no A3 TDI equipped with Quattro in the US market... and I really think the MPG on the TDI make more sense for the high gas price area in SF.
I came very close to ordering the TDI, but just couldn't get beyond the FWD and that transmission they've fitted. There's so much negative commentary on it when bolted to the diesel. I guess the kiss of death was the widespread issues with the hi pressure fuel pump.

There are loads of (VW) folks reporting reporting that the urban fuel economy is nowhere near what they expected, making it potentially the same cost/mile as the 2.0T when compensating for the high price of diesel fuel.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

"...couldn't get beyond the FWD and that transmission they've fitted. There's so much negative commentary on it when bolted to the diesel." Was the negative commentary from folks with experience or from writers quoting each other?

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI wiht the DCT and love it after 52000 miles. I have had no problem with the fuel pump either. Except for a high pressure oil cooler line to the turbocharger that started weeping from a fitting and was replaced under warranty,the car has been bulletproof.

I am not among the load(s) people complaining about the 'urban fuel economy' either. I am averaging 32+ around town and 43+ on the road and I don't poke around!

I appreciate the low end grunt provided by the TDI engine v. the gasoline version.

I came very close to ordering the TDI, but just couldn't get beyond the FWD and that transmission they've fitted. There's so much negative commentary on it when bolted to the diesel. I guess the kiss of death was the widespread issues with the hi pressure fuel pump.

There are loads of (VW) folks reporting reporting that the urban fuel economy is nowhere near what they expected, making it potentially the same cost/mile as the 2.0T when compensating for the high price of diesel fuel.

Quick Reply: Is this a good price on used 2011 A3 TDI?