Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Genuine concerns about performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Genuine concerns about performance

I don't intend to incite violence with this, my first, posting - I am concerned about some numbers listed in Road and Track that I'd like to bounce questions off people that own these cars before I order one. FYI, I'm debating either ordering an A3 3.2 before the 2007 model year (so I can get the maintenance program) or wait until VW reintroduces the R32/R36.

So, my questions are: (1) why are the slalom and (2) skidpad numbers of the 2.0 the WORST on Road and Track's summary (found at the end of each magazine)?! Even the Toyota Prius beats it! And (3) why is the braking distance so bad? Literally the second-longest distance of 100+ cars!

Now as a caveat, as far as slalom and skidpad, I understand that there's a variety of factors - temp. of tires and surface, elevation, weather, etc. Also, some cars tested have better and larger tires, etc. For instance, the new GTI that is tested this month - with the same chassis - comes in much better and faster through the slalom (it has the 18" optional wheels). But, there must be SOME degree of equality, or else Road and Track wouldn't list the figures - as too unreliable.

But, the braking is simple unacceptable! For a small car and a brand new model at that - with the latest technology - it only beats one car on a list of 100+. Granted, the distances are much shorter than even 5 years ago, but come on! If a Camry can better it by 8% and a Range Rover by 20 feet, it indicates - to me - that the brakes aren't as good as a base-model Jetta.

Now, I'm not looking for a track-superstar. If that's all I was after, I'd be considering a Cobra kitcar. But, I am looking for something fun. And the fact that 97%+ of the cars that Road and Track has recently tested do better, it causes me to pause - and post this thread.

So - am I to glean from these results that I need to budget for after-market tires and brakes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In terms of technology it's hardly brand new. The 3.2 version is about

2 1/2 years old now and since then competitors, such as the Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra, Renault Megane etc have caught up at least in terms of performance (if not quality)
Old 03-02-2006, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Genuine concerns about performance

WRT braking - tires are the most important factor. Larger rotors do little to decrease stopping distance; better pads and fresh fluid is much more cost effective.

The big rotors are good for heat dissipation on the track where brake fade can be a problem, and the *show* aspect. On the flipside, larger rotors and the calipers needed are often significantly heavier that the stock pieces and can negatively impact handling, especially as that weight is unsprung.

Stock tires are generally a compromise - theyneed to have low rolling resistance for CAFE, be able to pilot the car in all weather, and be cheap. Those factors are not what a performance tire cares about. )

/bill
Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 AM

I own the 2.0T A3 w/6MT & sport package. If you read, 'My A3 Story' on the forum, I test drove a few vehicles before I chose the A3. For me, the car is practical, has nice features, handles great, built rock solid, and the performance is very good with a killer engine.

Like I said, the performance is very good, not stellar; however, to enhance my car performance there are 2 things that are a MUST.

1. Chip it. (the best performance enhancement BANG FOR YOUR BUCKS)

2. Invest in a set of high performance tires to replace the Pirelli P6s. I am saving my money for some 18" Yohohama ADVAN Neova AD07 & 18" wheels. These tires are expensive but they will better the overall performance of the A3.

Even after these mods., I am not expecting to run with the big dogs (Vettes, Cobras, Porsches,etc.) but I be damned if I will get my *** kicked by a stock Toyota Prius.

Also note that the 2006 Audi A3 was a 10 Best pick by Car and Driver and those guys are no slouches when it comes to rating a car's performance.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Tires - Pirelli P6s

Like most auto publications, the A3 that Road & Track reviewed had all-season Pirelli tires on it which have a negative impact on handling as measured by the slalom and skidpad tests.

FWIW, if you purchase an A3 with the Sport pkg you can spec high-performance summer tires rather than the all-seasons as a no-cost option. You may have to hunt around to find one in dealer inventory w/ performance tires or do an order (as I did). Mine came w/ Pirelli PZero Rossos, I believe some others had ContiSport Contacts. So my point is that you can get performance tires as OEM if you so choose, or go the aftermarket route you noted. Having test driven an A3 equipped w/ the all-seasons, I attest to the dramatic difference in handling that performance tires will make.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires first and foremost. Not just for handling, but also braking.

Then a rear anti-sway bar. That should go a long way to addressing your problems.

I put Toyo T1R on my car and took it to driving school. My unchipped, non-brake upgraded, non-sway bar upgraded A3 was faster than all kinds of so called more powerful cars as well as a couple of Caterhams. Now I really could have used the rear anti-sway bar, but the rest of the car was completely up to the task.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default I think those particular R&T numbers are garbage...

Many, many cars they have tested have had long wearing all-season tires or worse low rolling resistance tires and have not fared that badly on those tests.

I don't have any idea what went wrong at the test track that day but like you mentioned from comparing the A3 numbers to nearly one hundred other tests someting is amiss.

Call it reverse synergy, or whatever, but a tester, a car, four tires, and a test facility came together to produce data that is quite out of line with most published data.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

BMW is a huge advertiser with R&T, need I say more (my opinion)
Old 03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i also think there is something ascue with the # even though i think r&t does a fair job of testing cars. tires will efect the handiling in a very profound way even in the stock size. car and driver did a tire test a couple of months back with substantal data if you need some help picking rubber. the handiling of this car is pretty good out of the box i wouldnt hesitat to recomend it to anyone.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A test drive would best answer your questions.

In the end, whether or not the nandling and braking are good enough is subjective and depends on your personal taste. If you have test driven the car, how do you feel about it?

Quick Reply: Genuine concerns about performance