Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Fuel Pressure Problem (Car stalls after starting)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Problem (Car stalls after starting)

Good morning,

I have an AUDI A3 that has a fuel pressure problem. My car will initially start, I will get a couple meters out of the parking space and then the car will shake a bit and then die with the RPMS failing. It can then take another 5-30 minutes to get the car started by just pumping the gas until the car revs (nromally the RPM dial will get to 4 RPMs but no revving sound)

This has been an on-going problem since January of 2017.

I brought it to the dealership in January 2017 and they changed:

1. The battery
2. The high pressure fuel pump (twice)
3. The lower pressure fuel pump
4. The fuel filter.

In the end they told me they had no idea what it was but they changed every single thing that it could possibly be. They took 2 months to "fix" the problem with the car being return to me in March 2017. No real issues after that with maybe a bit of shaking on idle after cold start.

Now the exact same problem is happening again. It started in November, I brought it to the dealership and they said they could not find a problem so they returned the car to me. It has since failed again two times since. I am wondering if it is a weather shift problem somehow.

Obviously I need to explore different avenues than the dealership as they have been nothing but a liability.

Another solution that was suggested to me was only to fill the tank with Shell gas (because I had been using Husky which is high in ethanol). Yesterday I filled the tank, (which was already half full with husky gas) with new shell Shell gas and then drove an hour and a half to the mountains where temperature dropped about 18 degrees celcius to -3 from +15. I parked the car in an indoor lot upon arrival, came back 30 minutes later, car started and then stalled a couple meters from my parking space.

Last night I put some water remover in the gas tank from STP but really I have just no idea what could still be causing this problem.

Thank you all for your generous help.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What model of engine, FSI. TFSI, TSI .... what year of production
Old 04-11-2022, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by halfers
Good morning,

I have an AUDI A3 that has a fuel pressure problem. My car will initially start, I will get a couple meters out of the parking space and then the car will shake a bit and then die with the RPMS failing. It can then take another 5-30 minutes to get the car started by just pumping the gas until the car revs (nromally the RPM dial will get to 4 RPMs but no revving sound)

This has been an on-going problem since January of 2017.

I brought it to the dealership in January 2017 and they changed:

1. The battery
2. The high pressure fuel pump (twice)
3. The lower pressure fuel pump
4. The fuel filter.

In the end they told me they had no idea what it was but they changed every single thing that it could possibly be. They took 2 months to "fix" the problem with the car being return to me in March 2017. No real issues after that with maybe a bit of shaking on idle after cold start.

Now the exact same problem is happening again. It started in November, I brought it to the dealership and they said they could not find a problem so they returned the car to me. It has since failed again two times since. I am wondering if it is a weather shift problem somehow.

Obviously I need to explore different avenues than the dealership as they have been nothing but a liability.

Another solution that was suggested to me was only to fill the tank with Shell gas (because I had been using Husky which is high in ethanol). Yesterday I filled the tank, (which was already half full with husky gas) with new shell Shell gas and then drove an hour and a half to the mountains where temperature dropped about 18 degrees celcius to -3 from +15. I parked the car in an indoor lot upon arrival, came back 30 minutes later, car started and then stalled a couple meters from my parking space.

Last night I put some water remover in the gas tank from STP but really I have just no idea what could still be causing this problem.

Thank you all for your generous help.
Same basic story here... Car has been in the dealer 3 times now for stalling on warm start.

They replaced both fuel pumps 3mths ago and are now claiming it's the low pressure fuel pump again. So after 2+wks of testing with no key indicators to show what's wrong. Though the car stalled while they were testing... they are going to replace low pressure fuel pump again.

I'll take the car back but if it stalls again I'm dropping it at the dealer and not picking it up until they show my proof that they found the problem.

Also required battery replacement.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My vehicle is a 2016 Audi S3
Old 03-25-2023, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I just got a 2015 s3 doing a very similar thing. Did either of you ever figure out what your issues were?
Old 05-13-2023, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PITAS3
Hey, I just got a 2015 s3 doing a very similar thing. Did either of you ever figure out what your issues were?

Solved my issue. Turned out to be the fuel rail pressure sensor for anyone that is looking into this also.
The following 3 users liked this post by PITAS3:
cpetersohn (05-13-2023), mmmadog (Today), Speedy Gonzales (03-11-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2006 A32.0T

Originally Posted by PITAS3
Solved my issue. Turned out to be the fuel rail pressure sensor for anyone that is looking into this also.
fuel pressure sensor. Where is the sensor located
Old 04-30-2024, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A3 2.0L T Quattro

Having this same issue - car went to shop 3 times. Same story - replaced low pressure & high pressure pump. Issue was still occurring. After engine was hot (20-30 mins of highway driving) parked for 30-40 minutes. Car would start but then stall within 10-15 seconds. Would take about 30 mins for it to start and run normally. Never had issues while driving, only after warm start.

Took the car in again last week and reproduced the issue for the mechanic.

They diagnosed a bad fuel injector which after running hot was spraying fuel into one of the cylinders essentially flooding it.

Getting the cylinders cleaned and fuel injectors replaced next week. Will report back but the mechanic is very confident this will resolve the issue.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same problem. One of the vehicle's spark plugs has become completely dysfunctional. When the vehicle was loaded, there was vibration in the engine rpm and blinking in the engine light. It was fixed when I replaced the entire spark plug set. BTW blinking the engine light means closing a cylinder using 3 instead of 4.
My a3 is 8p sportpack gasoline.