Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Extended Warranty Claim, A3 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Claim, A3 diesel?

Has anybody had success fighting denial of extended warranty claims, or can explain the process?

My 2011 A3 2.0L TDI covered by extended emissions warranty died on the interstate. Sudden loss of engine power, blinking glow plug light. Could not restart engine after that. Paid $525 tow to an Audi dealer as nearest one refused to even touch a car >10 years old.

Ran a BlueDriver OBD2 scanner before dropping it off, had codes attached.

Dealer claims gasoline was put in the engine instead of diesel at last fill-up, and so not under warranty and everything needs to be replaced. When asked how that was determined, I was simply told “Metal savings (sic) in tank.” Dealer did not test actual diesel.

If caused by gross negligence on my part, I’d buy it, but:
1. I asked dealer to send me a photo of a receipt I left in the car. It confirms my most recent fill-up was a purchase of diesel, not gas (one day before incident).
2. I am the first owner post-modification (Title directly from Audi with a dealer pass-through title)
3. I’m the only person who’s ever filled the tank, with one exception that I personally witnessed (I was driving U-Haul while individual was driving my car).

If the issue was indeed misfuelling, the only thing I can think of is it occurred prior to emissions modification and Audi resale, and issues took 15 months / 22,000 miles to take effect. Which is still not negligence on my part.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very possible the gas station got gas delivered instead of fuel. Hold on to that receipt, sue the gas station for the repairs since you have proof (Audi diagnosis) gas doesn’t take long to kill an engine it’s not something over time.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might search on TDIClub.com. They have some good information on the HPFP and related failures.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php...4#post-5647872 , to start with.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say "covered by extended emissions warranty", has it been more, or less, than 48 mo/48000 miles since the emissions modification was applied? If more than either, then the TDI warranty is over (>10 yrs automatically meets one of the 2 available requirements). If not under TDI warranty, VW is not under obligation to address the car. Good luck!