Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dual mass flywheel or not? 2.0T FSI with 6-speed Automatic (DSG)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual mass flywheel or not? 2.0T FSI with 6-speed Automatic (DSG)

I purchased a 2007 A3 2.0TFSI with the Automatic (DSG) transmission late last year with 85k miles on the odometer. Car runs great except I've had this rattling, chattering noise coming from the engine bay at idle for the past couple months now. Sounds louder than my Q7 TDI, really! It's much louder once the AC is turned on. I put the car up on some ramps and I can clearly hear the sound is coming from bottom of the engine on the driver's side where the engine mounts to the transmission. AC turned on and it sounds really bad, AC turned off and it quiets down but the sound is still there. I'm assuming the load on the engine from the AC running is the reason why it gets louder since the idle speed drops slightly. I took the accessory belt off and turned on the AC and the rattling was the same as with the AC turned off confirming the AC has nothing to do with this.

I checked the cam follower and high pressure fuel pump and it they were in like new condition so that has nothing to do with it. I know these engines are "clicky" by nature but this isn't the typical 2.0T sound. Several youtube videos I found have examples of the sound I have and are pretty dead on, all related to the DMF failing.

After doing some extensive research it sounds like the dreaded Dual Mass Flywheel is on its way out.

My problem is, when I spoke to the dealer and an indie shop, both said they don't think the automatic A3 has a DMF. Reading all across the boards on various forums say the 2.0TFSI engine with a DSG tranny does have a DMF. The parts guy at the dealer called it a drive plate and also said it "probably" has a torque converter, the indie shop owner called it a flex plate and doesn't think it has the DMF, so WTH?

I know the proper way to diagnose this is to have the shop look at it. I don't want to spend the $140 to tell me, "yeah its the DMF" or to say that they have to take the tranny out to have a better look which is going to rack up the bill in labor. I plan on doing this myself if it is in fact the DMF. Just need someone to confirm this for me.

Does anyone here with this engine/tranny combo have any experience or knowledge of my symptoms or possibly replacing the DMF?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I struggle with what to call it also, old school terms of flexplate don't really apply to what this is, and DMF is a term associated with a car with a clutch, but that's just my opinion and would love to be educated. But, for an Auto trans your car would use 06F-105-266-L, look on ebay and you'll see that has an arrangement like a dmf would have where the inner portion could have play in it and that may be where your noise is.

Here's where I have to come in with my price on the part, retail is 822.00 and your price is 662.53 for a new Audi part. Strange thing is, if that was a popular seller there would be more in the US depots than the 7 that I see, with only one other dealer showing one in stock too. That doesn't mean you don't have a bad one, but there would be more stock in the US if that part had a high failure rate.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
I struggle with what to call it also, old school terms of flexplate don't really apply to what this is, and DMF is a term associated with a car with a clutch, but that's just my opinion and would love to be educated. But, for an Auto trans your car would use 06F-105-266-L, look on ebay and you'll see that has an arrangement like a dmf would have where the inner portion could have play in it and that may be where your noise is.

Here's where I have to come in with my price on the part, retail is 822.00 and your price is 662.53 for a new Audi part. Strange thing is, if that was a popular seller there would be more in the US depots than the 7 that I see, with only one other dealer showing one in stock too. That doesn't mean you don't have a bad one, but there would be more stock in the US if that part had a high failure rate.
Thanks for the price quote Jeff! I'll PM you when I'm about ready to do this DIY project. I'll most likely be doing the DSG service at the same time.