Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dilemma: DSG or 6 spd on an A3 2.0T S-line?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma: DSG or 6 spd on an A3 2.0T S-line?

I have a '08 A3 2.0T coming with a DSG but I am getting a little nervous that I will tire of the DSG after the novelty wears off and it becomes just another glorified automatic; albeit an amazingly fast shifting one. Does the DSG get boring after awhile? On the one hand, it is nice to have the option of chilling out when stuck in traffic and then being able to rip off fast shifts but is it as satisfying? I read how the DSG is such a great mate to the power curve of the 2.0T and all the car mags seem to go for the DSG when they usually are manual *****. Opinons from people who've driven both for awhile would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 06:00 AM

Default You will NEVER have the type of spirited driving with DSG that you get with manual transmissions.

We have the 3.2Q A3 and the DSG is fantastic. But make no mistake it is an automatic and will always be an automatic. You will never have the connection to the vehicle that a manual transmission provides.

How important is that connection to you? If you know you will be sitting in a lot of traffic DSG is, IMO, the way to go. If you find you only spend 10-20% of your driving time in traffic you may want to reconsider.

Personally, I am willing to stick with the DSG but I am actually hoping AoA will bring over an S3 Sportback or at least a 2.0t w/Quattro. I appreciate the ease of the DSG, I just want a ton more power. Couple that with Quattro in the sporty package of the A3 and I will be happy.

And my last car was the MKIV R32.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Default x2 - well said. I have one of each. The manual feels less laggy, but..

DSG is the stuff around town and in traffic.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove the TT with DSG twice, then test drove both manual and DSG A3 back to back.

Went with the manual. The dealer sometimes gives me a DSG loaner too.

I think the DSG is just incredible - by far the best transmission when having a manual doesn't make sense (traffic, spouse that doesn't drive stick, etc), but try as I might, I cannot warm up to it. I have never for a moment regretted getting the manual - and my A3 is an around-town grocery getter/commuter. It keeps me connected to the act of driving when in jams, is easier to modulate tire slip when accelerating, and finally weighs about 100lbs less than DSG. That said, it is not the easiest clutch interface, and you will need to learn it's foibles for smooth shifts.

The magazines get cars handed to them from a managed press fleet. They often don't get to choose - just request. Audi wants to push a technology that makes the A3 unique. And since most people buy automatics no matter what they say, it is the logical one to review.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Default I had a loaner A3 w/ 2.0T S-Line DSG for 3 months, but, I bought a 6-spd.

The DSG is definitely slick, and an impressive piece of technology, but, I missed having a manual after about a week with the loaner.

I live in the LA area and there is some traffic... fortunately I don't have to commute that much so I'm totally happy with the manual transmission. Even if I did have to deal with traffic on a daily basis, I would made the same decision with getting the 6-spd. I feel more connected with the car... if that makes any sense.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You know the TT with dsg has faster 0-60 times and faster lap times on the track right?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Drove both, own the 6MT and had a DSG loaner for a week, after a few

days the DSG started to get boring to drive with.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Dilemma: DSG or 6 spd on an A3 2.0T S-line?

I'll take the other tack, I really like the DSG. I've driven a stick for a LONG time. I only have 1200 miles on my A3, but I like the DSG. Was also concerned because I read about it being less engaging. Don't find it so yet. I still think about shifting, what gear I want, etc. The mechanics are just different. It holds my gear down a hill. There's no torque converter so the response is fine. It shifts faster than I do, and accelerates through the shifts. I also use the automatic more than i thought I would. Biggest complaint, I wish it wouldn't downshift when I slow dow. I usually cast up to a light and take it out of gear right before putting the car in neutral. DSG downshifts every gear.

My biggest problem is my wife. After we almost got divorced on a hill 20 years ago when I was teaching her to shift she resents not using her left foot!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Love the last line! :-D
Old 01-26-2008, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default And this matters how in the real world on the way to the grocery store? ;-)

If you're going fast but being bored, it doesn't matter one whit how quickly you get there. Some people get a kick out of DSG, and I have no problem with that. But unless you are drag racing, or stripping the car down for track duty, those tenths of a second probably won't matter.

I value being connected to the controls of the car in every sense - after owning Italians for so long, the A3 feels a bit of a blunt instrument despite being a better car in many ways. A manual is one way I can introduce a bit more feedback into the drive. Hopefully by bypassing Open Sky, getting the manual, and installing wheels that are lighter by 5lbs per corner, they will all help responsiveness and make up for any slowness of my shifts;-)

Quick Reply: Dilemma: DSG or 6 spd on an A3 2.0T S-line?