Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi in U.S. dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi in U.S. dilemma.

I'm wondering if people can give me their advice. Like a number of Audi-philes, I really wish we'd get models available elsewhere in the U.S. For me, I'd love an S6 Avant (I'd even buy a A6 4.2 Avant) and an S3. But, not available in the U.S. (Yes, I know AoA is "seriously considering" making the new S3 available in the U.S. However, since this powertrain isn't currently scheduled for U.S. emissions testing, it would be quite a long wait, if it happens at all.)

So, what's the best way to use my purchasing power to influence VWAG's decision makers to expand the Audi product line in the U.S.? Do I buy what is available so Audi knows there is a consistent customer base here? Or, do I let AoA know my purchasing dollars are going elsewhere (although there's really nothing else I want) because the Audi products I truly want are not offered in the U.S.?

Just wondering what might be the best approach to getting this message through to Audi?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi of America listens

And they have people in positions that care about what the public wants. They do their best given the hurdles of working with an overseas parent to get us the right models and packaging. I'm not saying it is perfect, but I am saying that they are not blind or deaf to what enthusiasts want.

I vote for use your dollars to be a customer and help AoA sell more and get more sway internally.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Jet's right. Somebody who shows some interest

and perhaps loyalty to the company does carry more weight somebody who flits between brands.

Write a real paper letter. Send it to your local dealers as well as AoA.

AoA ( Johan de Nysschen) at:
3499 Hamlin Rd (mail stop 2)
Rochester Hills, MI
Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 AM

Default AoA also has Future Models section on their site where you can tell them just

what you told us. If enough people do this we may be able to have an impact.

*rant* I am a little tired of people on forums saying "Are you listening Audi?", "This is what I want." AoA may or may not be listening. If you are serious about a particular future model then tell Audi directly. Please! Make your voice heard by more than enthusiasts on the forums! *end rant*
Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 AM

Default I, too,like performance wagons

And was delighted to see them bring in the last generation S6.

But at the end of the day, the statistics tell all - even now, with high gas prices, the Q7 (the ugliest looking Audi, ever, if you ask me) will have sold more units in 3 months than the S6 did in its entire 2002 - 04 run.

If you look at the competition, the BMW540 wagon and E55 wagon sold in miniscule amounts too.

This country is not helped by every single wagon test in a newspaper (or car journal) inevitably starting out with something like "This isnt your dads Country Squire" or a reference to the Griswald's family vacation.

SUV's have to fight all sorts of preconceptions, but (until recently, maybe) being 'uncool' isnt generally one of them.

On the small car front (S3) - Im sure Audi, and others, are looking at the success of the R32 (just look at the resale on those) and factoring that in to their product planning.

The small wagon/hatchback market seems to be healthier now than it has in ages.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default here is a link

<a href="http://www.audiusa.com/feedback_formB/0,,categoryId-102,00.html">click me</a>
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 AM
CRB
AudiWorld Member

Default Performance wagon lovers are a pretty rare breed....

and the dozen (or so, lol) of us can petition Audi forever but the fact is most Americans don't want performance wagons, or wagons of any stripe (unless it is labled an SUV)

Even finding a manual tranmission in a wagon is tough and getting tougher every year. Subaru dropped the stick in the Legacy turbo wagon this year because nobody was buying them.

The wagon renaissance, that is supposed to be occurring currently, will only become reality when Americans rethink thier presumptions/biases about that automotive body type. Soon? I fear not.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I meant in addition to the online feedback. A real letter often carries more weight it seems.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 AM
SUV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FWIW, B5 S4 Avants (esp in 6 spd) seem to demanding a premium on the resale market...

I realize that's a very specialized market, but not that far from your R32 comparison.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there a way for people to show their strong interest in models like the S3?

Quick Reply: Audi in U.S. dilemma.