Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they're taking off because of all the boogers on your steering wheel and shifter.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I think there's a post further down talking about how you should never buy a car and sell ...

...it in one year. the depreciation is so steep in the first year that you are guaranteed to lose a bundle of $$$. case in point.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM

Default Private buyers are emotional. Professional buyers have a cold heart...

...and go by what the market says. America is not yet an approved hatchback-loving market (again), so resale values are that low. That's why the leases were so horrible on this car for so long, and even today's lease special is not as great as, e.g., for an A4.

A4s are probably the most popular sedan of its size on the market today (popular in 'want-have' dimensions), and the A3 cannot claim anything like that other than among a small group of connoisseurs and non-conformists like you and me.

Find a private buyer for your vehicle, and you will get close to what you were hoping. A dealer just can't. He'll be looking for that one buyer for months (or sell it a lot quicker for a lot less and make very little). That's the nature of this market.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Default sounds about right to me...

$34k new
$21k offer.
14,000 miles on a "one year old car" (it's an '05 correct? If not you're screwed and I'd consider an offer of $21k a great offer)
So, that's 38% depreciation from your new car price. Pretty typical of Audi with that high of mileage.
Welcome to Audi ownership..........
Old 04-08-2006, 05:08 PM

Default are you kidding me??????!!!!....

you wrote: "A4s are probably the most popular sedan of its size on the market today (popular in 'want-have' dimensions), "

Have you looked at sales numbers of mid-size near luxury "sporty" sedans lately!? Audi is lucky to still be in the business!!!

Get the facts..............
Old 04-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I am in Scottsdale, I'll give you 23.5k...Re: A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH

email me
Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM

Default I am not kidding you

Have you read what I wrote? I said "want have", not "did buy". Most buyers of other near luxury sedans who don't buy an A4 can't afford it, whether they admit it or not.

I have surveyed this to death and have all the numbers to prove my lie.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No its what he deserves for being stupid enough to trade/sell a car the year it comes out to buy..

an essentially lesser form of the car. Sorry this is one of the most moronic things I have ever heard of someone doing. Regardless of which one prefers the A3 and GTI are to close to make a bonehead financial move like this.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Golly, we is not been as smart as mr judgegavel...duh huh

Did I say that I signed any papers? Did I say that I traded at that bid? No. I said that I was contemplating. Just because I want a GTI, doesn't mean I'm ignorant enought to throw $10K at one.

If selling a car and buying something else is one of the most "moronic" things you've ever heard, you must live a small, narrow minded life. I happen to like the GTI and could care less what your opinion of it is. As stated in previous posts, it is purely subjective. I like my A3 very much and don't fell as if I'm driving from the penalty box.

I originally posted because I thought people might be interested in hearing how low the bid was. I have owned alot of cars, and that is the steepest 1yr. depreciation I've ever seen.

Believe it or not, I understand the factors of the car market including wholesale values, depreciation, margins etc. Without getting too personal, let's just say that I understand finance too.

Is it really appropriate to call a member of the AW board stupid? Is your time so invaluable that you need to spend it berating someone you don't even know?

Next time I think about anything automotive related, I'll consult judgegavel.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: I am in Scottsdale, I'll give you 23.5k...Re: A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH

Thanks. But I said I was contemplating. I'm not going to the cleaners. Taking $23.5 from you is not really any better than 21.5 from a dealer. The difference in sales tax would be nearly that.

Quick Reply: A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH