Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH

Get this...

I have a Lava Gray 2.0T Sport w/DSG, Open Sky, xenons, Nav+ and Sirius. 14,000 miles.

I'm contemplating a new GTI...I just am.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to make a deal on a MKV GTI. Since the car is so new, they have to get bids. I'm actually standing there listening to this on speakerphone, so I know they're not giving me BS. The VW dealer calls Audi North Scottsdale for a bid and the used car manager tells them $21,500!!!

Anybody else hear something this outrageous? I've never seen that kind of depreciation short of a Kia, Daewoo or Aztek.

Anyone here in the business know realistically where A3's like mine are at for trade-in? $13,000 first year??? Come on!

The VW dealer is going to call Las Vegas and some other wholesalers because they couldn't believe it either. We were all expecting about $26k.

$21k...if that's true, buyers beware!

Any info from dealers would be great.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I wouldn't trade in my A3 for a GTI anyway.

Not sure what you're going to gain by getting the GTI. If you ask me, it's a step backwards.

Furthermore, you'll get ****tier service from VW and no more maintenance covered. VW is all out of pocket.

If you lose $13k and are willing to do it..well I guess you could use a little better judgement.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 PM

Default I didn't ask

Like I said, I just am. It's only a step back if you're a badge snob, IMO.

I'm not asking for opinions regarding a trade up/down/lateral or whatever for a GTI. I know my cars and know what I like and don't like. I love the A3 but I've always been a GTI person. If the GTI was available last year when I got the A3, there would already be a GTI in my garage.

I've owned several Audi's too.

Just shocked at the resale...as stated in the first post.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nah, that's cool. It is indeed a shock to see the initial bids

as you say. I'm not a badge snob but I still think the materials used and the overall look, albeit subjective is in favor of Audi. Again, service is the other thing. Obviously you've owned several of each so power to you. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here is my take.

I recenty saw a car with almost your exact specs, Lava, Sport, Xen, Nav, Bose, Sat radio, Cold, sell for 28,800 on Ebay w/2100 miles.

You figure that as the base line, deduct for miles say about 3k for 11K extra miles. You are at 25,800 - Non Audi dealer is going to give you less, as there is more risk for them. They will tell you that it costs them 1200 - 1500 to prep and inspect and recondition a used car for resale... I know they say this even when the car is spotless. - Now we are at 24,500. Deduct what the dealer hopes to make reselling.. about 3500, and you now at 21,000...

Sell it privatly......
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM

Default You're talking wholesale dealer pricing, I'm not surprised at all.

North Scottsdale UAG dealers aren't really looking for trades unless there is plenty of room for profit. They still have new 2006 models on the lot to clear out for 2007 models.

When we bought an Acura MDX at Acura North Scottsdale they lowballed us on the trade of our loaded 98 Expedition by $2,000 below the Consumer Reports trade-in value before they even started dealing off MSRP on the new car price.

They're in the business of selling cars, not buying them.

Do yourself a favor and sell it yourself in AutoTrader.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Default No hard feelings Timmay

You're right. It is purely subjective. I have had great and poor experiences with both.

I've never been soaked in a car like this. I always had equity in my A4's.

Oh well, we'll see what comes of it. It's not like the A3 is the penalty box...but the GTI with 18" wheels and 6M felt so good in my hands. I think DSG is amazing, but I'm missing the third pedal and need something to do with my right hand other than pick my nose
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default things you could do with your right hand...hmmmmm

LOL! Well, that's exactly the reason I'm going to be adding another vehicle that will be 6MT to my lineup :-) It'll be nice to have both DSG and a proper stick shift as well. Depending on the mood and energy level I have on a given day, it'll be nice to have a choice.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Amen
Old 04-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Exactly. I'd buy it from you for more if I lived near AZ.

Quick Reply: A3 Trade-in bid ... OUCH