Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

37C in England and the AC can't cope!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37C in England and the AC can't cope!

Wonder if the CC in European A3's is not as powerful as the US versions? We also have a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) which has a much better CC and happily copes with this weather.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 AM

Default Thought it was just me... Could be this gas in the AC?!?!?

37c hit today at 1pm, London. Set the AC to "LOW" or tried "16c". Watching the MPG's consuming more and more :-( Getting headaches too! Taken some Ibuprofens for a quick fix...

I've seen slow fan AC's working a lot calmer in way hotter conditions in the far east.

I just heard it has something to do with the gas they put in the AC compressor. Could be wrong. Quickfit claim they can make your AC much more cooler from changing this gas?!?!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your not the only one having problems... Mine is weak and gives me a head ach.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Just read this from www.kwik-fit.com RE: Air-Con

Their claim slogan - "Recharge or no charge at Kwik-Fit"

Gonna pop down after work...

"Like other parts of your car, your air conditioning performance deteriorates over time. Every year, a vehicle can lose an estimated 10% of the gas that is required to keep your air conditioning system working efficiently. For this reason, most car manufacturers recommend that air conditioning is recharged or serviced every 2 years. Without this regular maintenance your car engine will have to work even harder to keep you cool which means it will need to use even more fuel."

"With an air conditioning recharge at Kwik-Fit we will assess and top-up your air conditioning system so that the gas and lubricant content of the system is optimised in accordance with manufacturers' specifications. It is not a service where component parts are fixed or replaced."

"Let Kwik-Fit recharge your air-con while-you-wait for ?44.95. As part of our recharge service, we use the latest air-con diagnostic equipment to check and optimise your vehicle's air-con lubricant and refrigerant levels. In under an hour, our specially trained technicians will show you the difference in you air-con system before and after the recharge."

"And you only pay by results!"

"If your coolest air-con vent temperature doesn't improve by 10% or more - you pay nothing. Contact your nearest centre for details."

"Air-con recharge is only available in selected centres in the South East of England."
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM

I spent 8 hours on the road Monday in South Georgia in 100+ deg heat with COLD AC. not an issue here
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's been that hot for about a week here. Takes a while for the car to cool down if left

in the sun. It does eventually cool down nicely.

Our Dodge Dakota blows cold immediately. Simple vehicle, room for huge ducts, massive condensor.

Oh well, my old Alfa can barely manage a tepid blow;-)
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

not changing the gas, adding more gas to the system to replace what escaped.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apparently the latest refridgerants have smaller molecules than the older versions - in addition

to not being quite so effective at cooling (needing a larger capacity system), this means they can escape the system more easily.

Make sure to run the a/c for 10 minutes every week or so even in Winter, as the lubricant helps keep the seals intact and keep the gas in the system.

These systems also work on the principle of a pressure drop across the system. You must have sufficient pessure drop for the system to work effectively. An ex-military guy who worked on cooling systems in Iraq was explaining to me that this is often overlooked.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-conditioning#Air_Conditioning_System_Basics_and_Th eories">understanding the basics</a></li></ul>
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default heard this from several A3 owners

the AC is simply WEAK

and I agree
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Over 107F (42C) here yesterday, and it takes quite a while for my A3's air

to get the interior to a comfortable temperature. Huper Optik is looking more and more like my best solution.

For what it's worth, the air on my '96 Infiniti G20 was worse.

Quick Reply: 37C in England and the AC can't cope!