Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Why so few?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Ibis

Not a deal breaker, though. Both are fine.

Originally Posted by MikeSS
Glacier White isn't white enough for you?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Prestige is pefect for those who "don't" want an A4 (I owned a 2001 2.8 V6 Quattro A4) with the increased size and weight. Yes, the base premium model leaves you wanting more, but what Audi is really about the "base" model? What the premium model does offer is more luxury and refinement than any "Jetta" will provide for those who want it. But the Prestige gives you everything that the higher 60 to 90K average cost that most new Audi's gets you.

But in a smaller, tight package than even the old A4's (1999 and newer) got you. I paid 32K for an A4 in 2001 with no more horsepower and much less fewer technologically advanced options available.

After discounts and a nine year old Subaru trade in, my loan payment is no more than my 2001 A4 2.8 V6 Quattro was as a lease. To me that is good value............
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by js09
My main problem with the A3, most likely a deal breaker, is that the s-line package is only available with prestige, and once I get into 40k territory then I'm all over the A4.

I also didn't like how the sport package did not include a lowered suspension, however that has been fixed in the 2015 model.

Also white isn't an available color.

Additionally, and I know i'm the minority here, I don't like paying for certain popular features I won't appreciate - such as the sunroof and leather. but that's the case with any Audi so I'm over it already.

but ultimately the A3 is really nice, but probably won't do it for me.. I see myself going the A4 route.

2015 A4 P+ with B&O and sport package to be exact
Ha! Let's just see how "close" the prices of the A3 Prestige and A4 P+ are once the '15s come out...
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

The equipment/options of a $40k+ optioned A3 is really not comparable to an A4. The fully loaded A4 S-Lines in my local showroom seemed to be over $50k at this point.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jdong
The equipment/options of a $40k+ optioned A3 is really not comparable to an A4. The fully loaded A4 S-Lines in my local showroom seemed to be over $50k at this point.
Yes, but I think that an A3 Prestige is pretty comparably equipped to an A4 P+, and only a few $1,000s difference, depending on how retrained you are with the options.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yes, but I think that an A3 Prestige is pretty comparably equipped to an A4 P+, and only a few $1,000s difference, depending on how retrained you are with the options.
So I'm probably one of the first folks who sprung for the A3 Prestige as opposed to the A4. Got delivery the week before last (dealer ordered it for me). Here were my reasons:

(1) I'm a tech guy. The tech in the A3 Prestige has got to be near the top of any car on the market today. It's SLICK. 4G is stellar, although it's still WAAAY too expensive. But still better than the 14 A4 by a wide margin.

(2) I didn't want the A4's size. I wanted SOMETHING bigger than my loaded 07 G35 coupe, as I had had enough of being planted against the steering wheel taking the kids to day care because the infant's car seat was too big for the back seat.

(3) Gas mileage. A3 was better.

(4) Price. The A4 with Prestige and Quattro ran $5-6K more than the A3 with Prestige. This is now the second time I've plunked down ~$40K USD on a car and I can barely rationalize spending that amount on a depreciating asset. Crossing much over $40K, forget it. Frankly I may not do it again to begin with .. Carmax or the private used car market may be in my future after this
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adamo010

(4) Price. The A4 with Prestige and Quattro ran $5-6K more than the A3 with Prestige. This is now the second time I've plunked down ~$40K USD on a car and I can barely rationalize spending that amount on a depreciating asset. Crossing much over $40K, forget it. Frankly I may not do it again to begin with .. Carmax or the private used car market may be in my future after this
I'd say that an A4 Premium Plus is more directly comparable to an A3 Prestige. Definitely when you compare both at Prestige level, the price isn't going to be close.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd say that an A4 Premium Plus is more directly comparable to an A3 Prestige. Definitely when you compare both at Prestige level, the price isn't going to be close.
This.

IMO the prestige package for both the A3/A4 is a little too expensive unless you seriously need all the extra crap. I have never been a fan of the nav or some of the "premium" features includes as part of the prestige, so the P+ is perfect especially when I can add in 1 or 2 options such as B&O. I can totally see the A3 being a better fit for lots of people, though. Tough choice, really.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
Why are there so few of these wonderful cars on the road - I am referring to Southern California.

Is it a supply problem or do they just not sell?

Good question....I was wondering the same as I live in a big city and I work in center city as well where Audi cars are literally all over the place but so far besides mine I have only seen one other A3!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsackman
Hideous indeed, but there are a few design features I really like.

The primary one is the deletion of the gear shift lever to provide more space in the console.

Good to know that they are indeed selling. I just have not seen one on the road here in SoCal (Thousand Oaks) area. Anyway, I am waiting for the Q3 as a smaller sibling for my Q5.

I live near you--in Westlake Vlg--and I've seen three A3s: two on the road and one that someone owns nearby.

I remember it took months before I ever saw a Fiat 500 around here, and now several years after selling them at about 3-4K per month, they seem to be everywhere.

Quick Reply: Why so few?