Power Steering Problem 1995 V6 80

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 PM
vk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem 1995 V6 80

Sorry but this is a double post (other in wrong cat)

Hi all, I'm new here so I'm trusting I'm in the right spot for this post.

I have Audi 80 1995 V6. I need to drain all the oil from the power steering system including the reservoir, due to me inadvertently adding Brake Fluid to the reservoir when topping up (picked up the wrong bottle from the shed and not reading the label) not a very bright thing to do.
My question is : to drain the oil where do I drain from. Help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance, vk1
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
Default use a turkey baster

Draw out as much of the fluid that you can from the reservoir..engine off. Refill with the correct fluid.. Some use Mobil 1 ATF or the spec Pentosin..

Refill the reservoir and start the car....turn the steering wheel right and left to full lock..then turn the engine off.

Again draw out as much fluid as you can then refill with the correct fluid and repeat the process again.

Do this four or five times at least.

Good luck..those seals in the ZF power steering rack are delicate and brake fluid is not a fluid you want in there..it may be too late but worth a try. It will depend on how much brake fluid got mixed in there..a tablespoon or a pint.

If you do repeated fill and dumps on the reservoir and your power steering rack is leaking..(or maybe is was leaking as you had to add fluid) try some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It has worked well for me on the delicate Audi power steering racks. Usually about 3-6oz of the Lucas will allow you enough service time to budget for a new/rebuilt power steering rack.

Other than the Lucas PSSL..I don't recommend Lucas products for anything else.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM
vk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes

Draw out as much of the fluid that you can from the reservoir..engine off. Refill with the correct fluid.. Some use Mobil 1 ATF or the spec Pentosin..

Refill the reservoir and start the car....turn the steering wheel right and left to full lock..then turn the engine off.

Again draw out as much fluid as you can then refill with the correct fluid and repeat the process again.

Do this four or five times at least.

Good luck..those seals in the ZF power steering rack are delicate and brake fluid is not a fluid you want in there..it may be too late but worth a try. It will depend on how much brake fluid got mixed in there..a tablespoon or a pint.

If you do repeated fill and dumps on the reservoir and your power steering rack is leaking..(or maybe is was leaking as you had to add fluid) try some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It has worked well for me on the delicate Audi power steering racks. Usually about 3-6oz of the Lucas will allow you enough service time to budget for a new/rebuilt power steering rack.

Other than the Lucas PSSL..I don't recommend Lucas products for anything else.

Many thanks Rusty, While waiting for a solution reply, I took it upon myself to remove hose from bottom of reservoir drained the oil, then turned the steering wheel left to right until all oil was hopefully removed (without motor running), then filled with new oil eg : Penrite LHM Plus. Next I turned steering right to left, all now seems to be okay. Maybe I should now consider draining again, and refill. What do you think. Many thanks once again. vk1
Old 06-05-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes..do a few drain and refills..you need to get the brake fluid diluted as much as possible.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:39 PM
vk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

I did the draining and refill again, all seems to be okay, however I will need to keep an eye/ear on things, for I don't know if damage has been done, fingers crossed that this has not happened. Rusty many thanks for your help, most appreciated, vk1