SVB's 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SVB's 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Purchased the car on Bring a Trailer in late January 2024. I got a new set of Vredestein Quatrac tires for it, had some basic baselining work done on it, and took it up to the mountains for a bit of a shakedown cruise.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Ah, it is beautiful!
The following users liked this post:
stanleyvanburen (02-23-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

does anyone have the user manual in PDF format by any chance?
Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great looking CQ, congrats!

I don't think I have see a user manual online, but there are a couple on eBay right now, if you're willing to pay around $200. You might find someone willing to let one go on the Small Chassis Audi Facebook group.
The following users liked this post:
stanleyvanburen (02-23-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So this car has needed quite a lot. I expected a fair amount of work since it had been sitting for roughly 7 years. Here's what I've managed to get done so far:

- timing belt (based on age), plus water pump, thermostat, idler, seals
- knock sensor
- battery
- spark plugs
- strut tower mounts (the passenger side was completely shot)
- wheel bearings (also completely shot on the passenger side)
- O2 sensor, idle control valve, and coolant temp sensor
- Vredestein Quatrac tires

Upgrades:
- RoW-spec facelift taillights
- DEPO brand H4 headlights (incl. necessary rewiring per 20v.org)

More photos coming soon. The Vredestein tires do great in the snow for not being a full winter tire. The engine feels healthy and fixing all the little things has been a huge improvement.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

This is good news and good work! Nice progress. You mind if I ask where you sourced the Depo B3 headlights? Are they one piece or are they the two piece lights in your photos?
Old 02-26-2024, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyvanburen
So this car has needed quite a lot. I expected a fair amount of work since it had been sitting for roughly 7 years. Here's what I've managed to get done so far:

- timing belt (based on age), plus water pump, thermostat, idler, seals
- knock sensor
- battery
- spark plugs
- strut tower mounts (the passenger side was completely shot)
- wheel bearings (also completely shot on the passenger side)
- O2 sensor, idle control valve, and coolant temp sensor
- Vredestein Quatrac tires

Upgrades:
- RoW-spec facelift taillights
- DEPO brand H4 headlights (incl. necessary rewiring per 20v.org)

More photos coming soon. The Vredestein tires do great in the snow for not being a full winter tire. The engine feels healthy and fixing all the little things has been a huge improvement.

That punch list is easy. Are you doing it by yourself or trying to find someone who knows these cars?

"- RoW-spec facelift taillights"
Not sure if I understand this. A few, very early cq (US) came with a different tail lights (the reverse was different). The ROW lights came w the ugly amber turn signals.
US lights worth 3x then a ROW btw

Old 02-27-2024, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by varia
That punch list is easy. Are you doing it by yourself or trying to find someone who knows these cars?

"- RoW-spec facelift taillights"
Not sure if I understand this. A few, very early cq (US) came with a different tail lights (the reverse was different). The ROW lights came w the ugly amber turn signals.
US lights worth 3x then a ROW btw
1. I found a mechanic who can work on this car and the work is complete. I used to do all my own work on my cars but those days are behind me. Luckily, I at least remain conversational in mechanic-speak.

2. The taillights I had swapped on are in the photo above. The turn signals are amber but have red lines over them, which I understand was the facelifted version, rather than the full amber that was the pre-facelift version. So it sort of splits the difference. I'm a stickler for amber turn signals. That's great news that the US ones are worth more because mine are in perfect shape and I'm going to put them up on ebay. I'll be selling the US-spec headlights and turn signals as well, if anyone is looking for those.

Last edited by stanleyvanburen; 02-27-2024 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stanleyvanburen
1. I found a mechanic who can work on this car and the work is complete. I used to do all my own work on my cars but those days are behind me. Luckily, I at least remain conversational in mechanic-speak.

2. The taillights I had swapped on are in the photo above. The turn signals are amber but have red lines over them, which I understand was the facelifted version, rather than the full amber that was the pre-facelift version. So it sort of splits the difference. I'm a stickler for amber turn signals. That's great news that the US ones are worth more because mine are in perfect shape and I'm going to put them up on ebay. I'll be selling the US-spec headlights and turn signals as well, if anyone is looking for those.
im glad the car is fixed.
I had to check the pictures on my desktop pc, now i see what you are talking about.
There's 4 different types Early cq/s2 so yellow turns 3b had these Late cq/s2 so lines on the turns aby had these. Cq/s2 with lines and colored reverse sections. Us spec (early/late)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I am still getting a weird glitch where, at WOT between 3k and 4k revs, the engine will hesitate briefly and the CEL will come on, but then go back off if I "power through it," so to speak. The prior owner thought the knock sensor was the culprit but I've had that replaced and this is still happening. Anyone else have this issue?

Quick Reply: SVB's 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro