RWD instead of AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD instead of AWD?

not saying i would want to but since the front axles just bolt in, couldnt you technicly remove the front axles and just run as RWD instead of AWD? might have to have the diff always locked to do so but idk. you think it could hurt anything??

just getting some ideas on the matter
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your concept of quattro is flawed...

firstly, the center diff is a torsen-based unit. It can't be "locked". It transmits power front/rear based on sensing torque buildup between the two outputs. It's flaw is that, once one end (front or rear) starts to spin freely, it will transmit all the power to that end. So, if you jack up the front end and put the car in gear, front will spin and rear won't move. Drop the front and lift the rear... rear spins and front won't.

The 'locking' portion of our AWD system is the rear diff. When you push the 'lock' button, a vacuum solenoid applies vacuum to an actuator, moving a linkage in the rear diff, locking the two sides of the rear diff together. Normally this system disables itself over 15mph (25km/h)... you can remove the 'disabling' feature by removing the rear seat... find the vacuum solenoid (small silver box... 3 vacuum lines, 1 electrical connector w/ several pins)... snip the blue/white speed sensor wire.

Only easy way to convert to RWD would be to pull the torsen center diff, weld up the bits, then pull the front driveshafts.

Alternatives include swapping a 4kq transmission (and custom shift linkage)... then you have a true locking center diff. Would still need to pull the front axles though.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lame..... haha. well i like mine the way it is with front axles anyways lol. good info though, thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Why do persons ask for technical advice about downgrades?

I see this often in this and other forums. I've come to the conclusion that they are typically younger and thus dumber (not trying to be a dick so just use a grain of salt here). They typically have the car in mind or recieved at nearly no cost. Cross post or try to think along the lines of completely different cars (240SX red & the nearly free 90 quattro with similar specs but you can't "drift" the all wheel drive the same way a RWD does. I imagine many can nod their heads at what I've observed. just saying
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default why?

Theres a reason audi is the only german auto maker to have not produced a rear wheel drive car since before the second world war. AWD is better. Better for rallying, road racing, hillclimbing, drag racing and daily driving. And when they do make a 2wd its always fwd.

Why? because for the "average driver" it is safer and more easily controlled in sketchy situations.

Personally I don't believe average drivers should be allowed in fast cars (or on mountain roads, or on the road in bad conditions). There should be an advanced license requirement for anything over 150hp. But hey thats just me (I was a cab driver for 5 years!)

So to make a long story short If you want a rear wheel drive car buy one, but learn how to drive first. Once you learn how to drive you will probably realize that you actually want an awd. (especially if you live in a snowy area)

BTW dtompsett thanks for the tip on the speed sensor wire, thats great!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool tip indeed! Could having the rear diff lock always on have any negative aspects? (worse gas mileage?)
Old 04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i was just wondering if it were possible. i like awd a hell of a lot better than rwd. and i already got the diff lock wire cut but thanks anyways
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

negative aspects... long term wear and tear on rear diff, stress on driveshafts, wear on rear tires....
Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you forgot to add, NOT BEING ABLE TO STEER WELL AT HIGH SPEEDS! so for your own safety, and others, dont lock it unless its needed!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Uhh... I've experienced no problems at high speeds.

My first 90q had the diff-lock stuck on when I bought it. Drove 300 km's home without issue. (Ok... the cruise control linkage jammed... so I had to pop that off on a gravel shoulder... so I left two rooster tails from the rear wheels when I took off)

That car would also randomly lock it's rear diff on the highway... again, never impeded my ability to drive the car.

My 4kq had locking center and rear diffs. I LOVED that car on the highway... hit a bunch of packed snow, just lock the diffs and start slowing down. Because the wheels are all tied to eachother, braking force was distributed amongst all 4 wheels... and it was impossible to lock one rear wheel without locking the other AND a combo of front wheels (or stalling the enging).

The only time I've ever experienced steering issues with locked diffs (90q or 4kq) was tight-radius turns... parking lots, attempting to parallel park, etc.