Looking at a 1997 Cabriolet and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scheu has a great point. I only drive my cab when there's no snow. I drive a Volvo s70 in the winter.

Sorry about that, O.P. ... That was a VERY bad omission on my part.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

The northern tier guys are a bit biased towards the Quattros as they really need it, justifiably. If the weather is that bad what are you doing letting her drive anyway? The Cab is a pretty heavy car and drives solidly. Power if you step on it but it is a touring convertible in reality. Premium fuel, if no one else mentioned it, mpg around 20 in town, better on the road. Remove the plastic engine cover and look for oil around the heads near the intake manifold. Warm the car up and smell for oil burning. Look at the coolant tank and look for clean bright coolant, not dark rusty colored fluid. Turn the A/C on and see if it works. Make sure the conv top operates electrically. Best move would be a scan to see if there are any fault codes. Even if all checks out great, expect to be a frequent reader of this site. Welcome aboard.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hubturn
The northern tier guys are a bit biased towards the Quattros as they really need it, justifiably. If the weather is that bad what are you doing letting her drive anyway? The Cab is a pretty heavy car and drives solidly. Power if you step on it but it is a touring convertible in reality. Premium fuel, if no one else mentioned it, mpg around 20 in town, better on the road. Remove the plastic engine cover and look for oil around the heads near the intake manifold. Warm the car up and smell for oil burning. Look at the coolant tank and look for clean bright coolant, not dark rusty colored fluid. Turn the A/C on and see if it works. Make sure the conv top operates electrically. Best move would be a scan to see if there are any fault codes. Even if all checks out great, expect to be a frequent reader of this site. Welcome aboard.
Call me stupid but... What if the antifreeze is a rusty color?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Then so is the inside of your radiator.

And your garage floor is not long to follow.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Spot on. Wish I'd been a bit more chosey. The block is cast iron. If the radiator fluid is rusty, then the radiator, heater core and every tube, pipe, hose and passageway is essentially plated in a fine coating of rust. It will never totally flush out and it is an incredibly fine silt. I've used oxalic acid, rigged up back flushing systems, you name it. The only real fix is a radiator replacement, hoses, etc which I have done, and that did wonders. But hey, the things 18 years old or so. There will be issues. And yes, sometimes the rust plugs the leaks and when it's gone, the garage floor IS covered in rusty water!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You could pick up mine if you like

It needs nothing, absolutely nothing. Very fun car to drive. Does your daughter know hot to operate a manual transmission?

http://audifans.com/marketplace/show...s_Cars&id=7034

Located in Boston