jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by desertsage
These look like amazingly solid coilovers! Not that I know much about them. Doesn't look like a bad choice at all.

BTW, I found a substitute TTY bolts for these, the original OE bolts being NLA. Most people seem to be reusing the original bolts, but who knows how many times they've been stretched. I believe that Audi now says you can use them twice, even though the Bentley says "must replace".

I can give you a part number when I'm home in a few days, if you'd like.
I'm impressed with the quality, as well. Those part numbers would be great. I'll be taking them on and off a few times to get them dialed in since you have to rotate the lower body to set the ride hide properly.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrentd
I'm impressed with the quality, as well. Those part numbers would be great. I'll be taking them on and off a few times to get them dialed in since you have to rotate the lower body to set the ride hide properly.
I just remembered that I'd posted about those bolts on the last page of my 90q 20v thread. The VAG part number is N90954802. I had purchased them from FCP Euro. Scrolling down a little ways, I'd posted some photos showing the bolts installed. It may be inconvenient, but the heads are triple-square.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...3019297/page6/
Old 02-08-2024, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just remembered that I'd posted about those bolts on the last page of my 90q 20v thread. The VAG part number is N90954802. I had purchased them from FCP Euro. Scrolling down a little ways, I'd posted some photos showing the bolts installed. It may be inconvenient, but the heads are triple-square.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...3019297/page6/
Thanks!
Old 02-18-2024, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had some time in the shop yesterday and was able to get a couple coilovers on. Had to stop because I need to find some of these step washers, or whatever they're called. They supplied 8 and need another 8. Used for the 12mm B3 knuckle/upright bolts.

Front left

Rear left

Some comparisons to my DIY set.

Last edited by jbrentd; 02-22-2024 at 09:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EEZ80 (03-15-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe it's only on my end, but your photos didn't come through.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe it's only on my end, but your photos didn't come through.
Those links should be fixed. AW doesn't seem to like the TapaTalk links, so I uploaded to Imgur.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes thanks, I see them now. Looks like good build quality!
Old 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Work has been crazy busy and the weekends full of non-car-related activities. But I was able to finish up the coilover install.

The first time I set her down, it was too low for me. I wasn’t able to get a finger in between the tire and fender.

First adjustment and I have about a finger’s width of gap now. We’ll see how they settle…I might want a little more clearance.

In the short trips I’ve taken, the ride quality on these BC coilovers is sooo much better than my DIY coilovers. At this ride height, it rides nice and smooth…thanks to how the ride is adjusted on these (IMO).

Honestly, the problem with the old ones were probably of my own doing. Pretty sure some properly spec’d springs would have made a huge difference. Before I totally removed them, I removed the springs up front and raised the wheel/tire to its ride height. And there was very little travel. That and no bump stops results in a harsh ride.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, I've had the coupe out for a few runs and everything seems to be doing well...up until the point the engine bay starts to heat up and my brakes start dragging. After things cool down or I spray down the master cylinder with water from a spray bottle, it does release the pressure. It looks like a new MC is in my future, unless anyone knows of a trick to handle this problem. Bad part is, the MC I have was purchased a few years ago, but only has a few miles on it. It was whatever cheap one they had at Rock Auto at the time...Centric iirc. I see 2 options available currently 1)Dynamic Friction for ~$150 or 2)ATE for ~$300.

While I was waiting for things to cool off, I threw on the front bumper and lights. A new windshield and paint for the front bumper are next on my list.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, your new bumper and one-piece headlights look amazing! Will the bumper have a two-tone look, with the lower being black to match the lower body trim? You'd probably already explained where you'd scored that bumper.

Oh man, so sorry about your brake issues? What the heck is causing your MC to overheat and stick? Does your engine temp remain normal? When I did the vacuum brake booster conversion on my 20V, I'd planned to use a tandem booster and MC from a B8, but when that didn't work out I'd opted for the expensive Ate MC to use with the B4 booster I'd found. (That is probably old news to you). For what it's worth, my brakes are awesome now.

BTW, is that an S2 badge on your grille?

Quick Reply: jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro