It's sadly head gasket time - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's sadly head gasket time - any advice?

Hi all,

Over the past weekend, my old 1995 Audi 90q suddenly went from a gentle oil leaker to a full on bleeder. I had to add 3-4 quarts of oil over the course of my 80 mile journey home (not the best idea, I know).

The oil came from above the oil pan, and when jacked up and running it was a steady, leaking stream dripping off of the oil cooler (it is not the oil cooler, but was dripping off of it). My research has led me to believe that it is the head gasket (due to the sudden and rapid oil loss). With this little knowledge, would you all concur?

Assuming that is true, what recommendations do you ladies and gentleman have in regards to the process? This will be the most intrusive repair I have done yet, and it has me slightly unnerved. I have read up on 12v.org about the process, which seems tremendously helpful, but I was curious if your collective knowledge had any further points, pictures, advice, etc, to add.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just replaced the heads on my car last week. It sucks, good luck!

There arent really any "tricks" or tips for the job, just lots of time and patience. Also the guide on 12v.org must be for a C4 or other vehicle as there are a few things missing in the guide. NAmely the oil dipstick must be removed, a temp sensor under the intake and a few other things that are pretty obvious during the process.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that doesnt sound exactly like a head gasket... do some more looking around
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree that it doesn't seem to be a headgasket. I had the same location leak and it ended up being from the sensors that were above the upper oil pan and cost like $5. Leaked over the oil filter / cooler just like described here. It is almost impossible to see those sensors though without pulling the upper and lower pans.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, that could be a relief...

Hmm.. I replace the one oil pressure switch up there about two years ago - is there a second one? And even if there is, it seems like removing the upper oil pan gasket is a pretty involved process as well, just to see if it is leaking from up there. Is there a better way to check these? I guess it is time for more research.

More info on the issue: tons of faint smoke blue/white smoke coming out of the engine bay. Possible blow back from wind on the freewa onto exhaust parts? Oil in general is all overt he place.

Originally Posted by RIAudiCab
I agree that it doesn't seem to be a headgasket. I had the same location leak and it ended up being from the sensors that were above the upper oil pan and cost like $5. Leaked over the oil filter / cooler just like described here. It is almost impossible to see those sensors though without pulling the upper and lower pans.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good point RIAudi, depends on your car you may have one or 2 sensors up in that area, take some brake cleaner and a brush, and just because your replaced it 2 years ago, doesn't mean its still good
http://12v.org/engine/index.php?section=cl&view=front
http://12v.org/engine/index.php?section=cl&view=oil
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wouldn't a leak like this throw some kind of engine code, or can it still be functional while leaking large quantities of oil? The three sensors down there appear to be the oil temperature sensor, oil pressure switch, and the oil pressure sending unit, correct? I'll try to get my head up in there later tonight.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

nope, no codes other then warning lights and thats not writen in stone that they will go off.
yep, thats the 3 sensors
Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had two separate sensors on the upper pan. Only one was leaking but I changed them both due to the complexity in removing the upper pan. I actually thought my upper pan gasket was leaking but it was the sensor. Just replaced everything when I was in there.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alright, upon closer inspection, it looks like you might be right. The heads actually look fine (valley pan is less pretty but not leaking too much). I ran the car while on the jacks again and couldn't see oil coming out anywhere, despite the large quantity gushing out.

That being said I am going to pull the upper oil pan. The write up on Bentley is a little bit confusing and I was curious if you had anything to clarify or add to the Bentley write up. I haven't found much on the forum, save for an in-depth discussion on the subframe (does this really need removed?).

Thank you all for directing me from the heads.

Thanks

Quick Reply: It's sadly head gasket time - any advice?