Injector retrofit, Hesitation and exhaust smells

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've never been one to give up, even when somebody tells me that my outside-the-box thinking is of no assistance.

So, I ran a few searches, and here are the links I found to threads where people discussed problems very similar to yours. (And yes, they were all on the 7A):

Fuse Issue:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...dle-Power-Loss

Vac Leak at the EGR, and a possible sensor issue (Yoda was a contributor on this):
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33152

Plug Gap? You said you replaced 'em:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2764347

Crank hose split (Yoda was a contributor on this, as well):
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49515

I will now back off and let the true experts offer you the solution to your problem, as my feeble efforts at assisting you have obviously robbed them of the bandwidth necessary to bestow upon you the miracle cure to your automotive woes.

Just doin' the best I can with what I have.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any help is good help guys. I did check the MAF sensor and it's getting good readings at the potentiometer and the MAF itself, so i'm thinking that's not my issue. I will look into those links that LG has posted. I did check the plugs, though I didn't check the gaps, but they are light brownish in color with no residue; NGK BKR6EGP.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey LG..... I looked into those links and they were very informative. Going to look into some of they're suggestions. O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor and fuel pressure regulator was suspect by many. I know that my O2 sensor,MFTS (water temp gauge sensor), coolant temp sensor have been replaced. I do smell some raw fuel in engine area maybe my fuel press.regulator might be suspect.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Those are not the correct spark plugs you want to use the factory bosch F6DTC
or NGK BCP7ET these are 3 prong plugs that come pre-gapped and the gap is not adjustable. FPR leaking out the vacuum nipple because of a torn diaphragm wouldn't be good, unfortunately the 7A FPR is NLA new so you'll have to try and find a good used one.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yodasfro
Those are not the correct spark plugs you want to use the factory bosch F6DTC
or NGK BCP7ET these are 3 prong plugs that come pre-gapped and the gap is not adjustable. FPR leaking out the vacuum nipple because of a torn diaphragm wouldn't be good, unfortunately the 7A FPR is NLA new so you'll have to try and find a good used one.
So today after work I took my car on a nice drive. I did a lot of stop and go and some interstate driving all along making sure to keep her under 3500 rpm; she ran great. on the the way back I gradually pushed her past that 3500 rpm mark ,..bam,...hesitation.I did notice that if I stop and shut her off or even shut her off while costing and restarted it cleared the problem until yes 3500 rpm. Sheeesh!!
I did check the FPR and it seems fine; no gas leaking from vacuum port and I even put my "handy dandy" hand held vacuum pump to it; both vacuum and pressure against it and it held vacuum and pressure. I did notice I have the original knock sensors on there, I took my 15mm wrench and just turned them a bit just to make sure they were tight (not gorilla tight). Knock #2 turned slightly. I test drove her and it seemed okay I was able to get the rpms past 3500 without problem then it did start to hesitate slightly but in my case that's all it's been taking,...a slight hesitation and it's hesitation throughout the shift range.
BTW thanks for the spark plug info I will definitely look into these. Also can I use a different knock sensor other than the originals,....them damn originals are expensive!! LOL!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes you can use the newer bolt through sensors more info here.
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...46026&p=578206
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Muchos gracias good sir! Do you have to prep the block surface before installing the other knock sensors? Also why isn't Bosch still manufacturing FPR's for the 20 valve 7a? Is that FPR NOT used on any other models even VW's? Hard to believe nobody else makes a suitable replacement.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You don't need to do anything to block to use the newer style knock sensors.
The 7A FPR is hitachi not bosch specific to the 7A motor and is 4.2 bar.
There were some aftermarket regulators but them don't seem to be available anymore. Simply put audi doesn't care much about the older cars or their owners stocking parts for them is not a priority. Best you can do is find a good used one or wait for them to be available from auditradition
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one more good 7A fpr for sale. pm if you need
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yodasfro
You don't need to do anything to block to use the newer style knock sensors.
The 7A FPR is hitachi not bosch specific to the 7A motor and is 4.2 bar.
There were some aftermarket regulators but them don't seem to be available anymore. Simply put audi doesn't care much about the older cars or their owners stocking parts for them is not a priority. Best you can do is find a good used one or wait for them to be available from auditradition
Well that kinda sucks! Looks like a lot of these cars will end up being parted out or modified if and when FPR disappear.

Quick Reply: Injector retrofit, Hesitation and exhaust smells