I guess I'll ask again... see if you guys can help - cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess I'll ask again... see if you guys can help - cooling problems

Hey,
I just spent a ridiculus amount of money on a stupid multi-function temp sensor and that didn't solve my problem. here it is:

my temp gauge never goes over 2-3 marks and the car runs really rich. I know that when the car's temperature registers low, the computer makes the fuel mixture richer to heat up the engine. so, I though i have a faulty MFTS. Nope! I did a little reading and found that if someone at one time put in an 80 degree thermostat instead of an 87 degree one, that makes the coolant go into the radiator more often cooling it down more often. This sounds like a good idea, but here in ohio it doesn't get hot enough for that nonsense. So, I bought a new 87 degree thermostat and I need to put it in. Here's the problem: I've never done this before.

I figure what I'll do is take the thermostat out, and put the housing back together with no thermostat installed. Then I'll use my home flush kit to flush out the cooling system. With no thermostat in place, it cannot close which will allow me to completely flush the entire system. Thermostats don't seem too difficult to change, however I have no idea where it's at! Can someone give me a very detailed description of where it's at, or better yet a picture?

Also, when using the home flush kit (I think Prestone makes it) which hose would be best to splice in the TEE fitting? Once again, pics would be nice.

Once more thing. Now that I have the MFTS changed, I am told that there is another sensor that tells the ECU the temperature. Where can I buy that one cheap?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well lets just say that you will be doing a timing belt job to remove the thermo
Old 06-07-2006, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My experience.

I had the same problem as you. My car never warm up completely, always ran rich, I was getting terrible gas mileage. I finally decided to replace my thermostat. When I tried to take out my old one, it wouldn't come out. It was lodged in there. Finally pulling hard enough (put a piece of metal in front of the radiator), it popped out and it was still stuck open. Replaced, car runs good as new, nice and warm.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
DBZ
AudiWorld Member

Default There's a FAQ on nordicaudi.com on removing the thermostat without removing the belt.

It's in swedish though... but you might get some help from the pics.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nordicaudi.com/arkivet/artiklar/data/a1241/V6_termos.pdf">http://www.nordicaudi.com/arkivet/artiklar/data/a1241/V6_termos.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well yeah, it can be done
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 PM

So... What hose should I splice the TEE into for the flush kit after I change the thermostat?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Bentley outlines how to do it without removing the t-belt...as a matter of fact...

...a certain FAQ has a certain link, that a certain forum member posted verbatim from the Bentley... ;o)
Old 06-07-2006, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why do you need to T into anything? The Prestone flush I used you basically just emptied out the...

...old coolant, put the bottle of flush in, filled the rest with water and drove it around for several hours of driving time...you then drain it and refill with fresh coolant/water.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Why do you need to T into anything?

the prestone kit i bought has a fitting to attach an ordinary garden hose to it and almost power flush the system. like you were using a coolant flush machine.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah...well the kind I had where you drain the car and just fill it up with the bottle of flush...

...and water (and drive around for a set amount of time) got a LOT of gunk out of my '88 80...I'd imagine your kit would work just fine...but the one I used you have hot water working to your advantage versus cold water out of the tap.

Quick Reply: I guess I'll ask again... see if you guys can help - cooling problems