Driver door panel removel

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door panel removel

I need to replace the window regulator on my 96 cabriolet. I don't know how to remove the panel without breaking it all up. Does anyone here have a link for how to remove it. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was able to find instructions for the 90 models but not for this cabriolet
Old 01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1., you have to remove the door puller cover (flat crew driver (pry it off, care)
2., 3 Phillips screws holds the back part of the puller. remove the window wire from the switch.
3., 1 Phillips behind the door opener arm (interior release or wtf its name)
4., you have to remove the screws on the side
5., now you slide the door panel upwards like 2-3 inches
6., unhook the wire from the door opener
7., remove the door card

8., remove the 6 bolts, 13mm (on early cabriolet and cq its 6 bolts, on late cabriolet is 4 bolts and 2 nuts) 2 are on the top of the frame on each side, 2 are on the bottom. Check for the spacer, they have to go back. Maybe you will have to play with them for the proper window angel.
9., remove the 3 nubs (10mm) from the window motor and carefully push the motor in, off the holes.

10., you can pull the window frame towards the top of the door. Care for the motor cable and wires

Its not a perfect write up, but it will you get there.

Chris
Old 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm working from memory here because I just removed both interior door panels on my '95 Cab in November to remove and reinstall the decorative padding that separated. Under the arm rest are two slots. Stick a small screwdriver in there to depress the tabs that hold in the cover. The cover is not in Varia's diagram. Pop that off and then all the screws will be accessable. To remove the latch, you have to pull the latch lever as though opening it a bit and then a hole appears to get to a phillips screw. Once removed the entire latch will then slide rearward I believe. Rotate it a bit for access to the cable hook. The cable is installed in the latch, covered by a foam pad with tape on it. After removing the tape and pad, PRECISELY observe how the cable is installed and where the flange on the cable fits into the latch as well as where the clip goes. You will now be able to use a needle nose to grab the hook and move it to disconnect it from the latch. If you reinstall this incorrectly (as I did), the latch/lock will SEEM to function, but when you use the key to lock or unlock the door, the door will not lock or unlock due to improper length of the cable. Then you have to go back in and redo the job. After the electric window switches are disconnected and the latch is removed, the entire door panel hangs on "hooks" in slots in the door. Oh, remove the screws in the black trim on the end of the door. Then, merely slide the door panel up and it will disconnect. Keep track of the rubber pieces that line the slots in the door where the hooks hang, otherwise you may have a poor fit and rattle noise later after install. Hope that helps.

Last edited by hubturn; 01-11-2014 at 04:38 PM.