Audi 90 engine swap [20v vs 2.7TT vs 4.2 V8]

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 90 engine swap [20v vs 2.7TT vs 4.2 V8]

Hey guys, I know theres a load of similar posts of people that are asking about Audi 90 engine swaps, but none of those posts give the full picture.

Basically, I am looking forward to keep my Audi 90 as my main car, and therefore get a more performant and recent engine to keep it running for years and years.
I've done some little researches, and apparently I can swap my 12v 2.8l for at least 4 following engines:
1.8T
20V 5cyl
2.7TT
4.2 V8

my question is, what would be the advantage of each one of them (if someone knows), regardless fuel consumption. And what would cost less in terms of changing other major parts around the car to make everything work in order. All I want is a very powerful engine, more ponies, not to race, but rather have a beast under the hood just in case.

And if someone have any approx. price tags on those engines, just to give me a general idea, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
peace.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1.8T
- cheap to find
- expect to spend $3000+ to get reasonable power levels
- watch out for oil sludging
- will require a lot of adaption re: motor mounts + transmission
- Everyone and their brother has a 1.8t.

20V 5cyl
- This engine was made for the B3 - it will be the easiest in terms of a swap
- excellent power potential, decently strong bottom end
- Needs a turbo to be worthwhile in terms of a swap

2.7TT
- No. Significant reliability issues on these engines result in $$$ repair expenses.

4.2 V8
- Talk to Marc Swanson and some of the other guys that have put 8's in their cars.

Also consider a VR6 if you want something N/A that won't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default engine swap opinions

I currently have a B3 90Q with a 20valve turbo swapped in and i love it. the car is a beast but i did the swap several years ago and the 5 cylinder engines are getting harder to find in decent shape and are more suited for swapping into a B3 chassis.

Being that you have a B4 90 i would say go for the 2.7 Biturbo for a few reasons. Lets be honest there is no "cheap" way to do a swap in an audi so you're going to have to spend some money either way you go.

The 2.7 has gotten a bad name partly due to the K03 turbos which often times die before their time. But the 2.7 is a great engine. I would be very leary about buying a used B5 S4 with miles because replacing these turbos usually requires you to drop the engine but since you are doing a swap anyway, this would be the perfect time to fix the weak points of the 2.7(possibly some K04's). if you get a chance visit the B5 forums. Also, due to the volume of 2.7's produced, finding one will be easier than finding a 5 cylinder or a V8.

I personally wouldn't go with a 1.8 or a VR6 only because i would rather swap an engine in its stock form with some conservative software and have factory reliable power than have to push a lower rated engine to the limits of strength and reliability. since you want to drive this car everyday try to pick an engine that will give you the performance you want in its stock form or close to it. I know guys have swapped the V8's also but i think that is a big engine and will require significant custom work. The 2.7 v6 is similar in size to your 2.8 v6 and will closer match the time period your series of cars were produced(1993-1998 including the cabriolet i believe). with a conservative chip you could have over 300hp and in your car that will be alot.

overall, try to pick a route that won't require as much customizing, this will keep your car more reliable and usually makes it easier to service and get parts for.

good luck!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

bear in mind that the 20vt kit from 034 is a nice upgrade for the (7A)20v NA engine, with some respectable performance gains. 7A motors are not impossible to find, nor are they very expensive; and the price for the 034 kit is close to what you'd pay for just about anything else. In addition, there is a considerable amount of headroom there with further upgrades. -I am not certain how well the 20v fits into the B4 chassis but someone else can comment there.

If you go with the 2.7T, one consideration is the ECU. I don't know how difficult these issues are but I read a post recently where: because the B5 or C5 2.7T ECU's are equipped with (anti theft) immobilizers, whatever sensors are related need to be spoofed or worked around. I don't have any idea how easy or difficult it is to do though(?)

As for the others, you will find less support because they are less common, but they have been done.

If you are savvy in the garage, then you should be alright with whatever you choose, but costs pile up quickly when customizing or re-engineering anything.

My vote for cheap and effective with headroom = 20vt'd 7A.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

1.8t or 32v will be easier than either of the other two....

V8 will have instant torque but will be thirstier than a 1.8t (says the man with a V8q 5spd and a 32v waiting on a hoist for his CQ)...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to revive this thread if I may.

I'm also interested in doing a motor swap in my recently-acquired b4 90 quattro. I'd like to know which, if any, engines can bolt right in? What bolts up to the tranny, to the engine mounts, etc? What will get in the way?

My first choice was a 4.2 v8 but I learned the brake booster needs to be relocated, custom fabbed mount brackets are needed, etc so I'm shying away from this one. I am capable of all that, but right now in life I don't want to try to minimize difficulty and customization - btdt.

My second choice was 1.8t because they're easy to find, easy to work on, easy to pump up. But will they bolt up at all?

Will the 2.7tt bolt up?

What about a later 2.8 v6 and a supercharger kit? Is it possible to adapt that supercharger kit to my early v6? I can tig weld my intake if necessary.

My brother is building a vr6 turbo, and he's got me considering that route as well. He told me 034 makes a bellhousing adapter for this engine to work in my car. Obviously, mounts will need to be fabbed. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry I meant I DO want to minimize difficulty and customization.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

The ONLY engine that will bolt right in will be another 12v V6. The 1.8t will be close IF you by mounts from Europe or from Issam up in Canada.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Close?

Does the 1.8t bolt to the transmission, and the 1.8t flywheel/PP fits with the quattro clutch? Starter and slave work? Buying mounts is no big deal, it's making them that sucks!

I used to think 1.8t's were puny and worthless, then I drove a friend's gti with just an exhaust and a chip, and it's not puny.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default How well does the 20v fit into the B4?

Either a 7a 20v or 3b 20v? Will it work on a stock 90 clutch and tranny? fwd/quattro?

Enquiring minds want to know

Quick Reply: Audi 90 engine swap [20v vs 2.7TT vs 4.2 V8]