'95 90q Upper Oil Gasket and Subframe questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1993audi90- There are a few numbers stamped on the subframe. On the bottom middle the number 620G is stamped, on the bottom drivers side the number H242 is stamped, on the top and bottom passenger side transmission mount area the number 02 is stamped, and on the top middle the number 635K is stamped.

Also, just spoke with Force5 and they assured me this will work.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I find this fascinating. Force5 assures you it will work (seems an admission that it is not off a B4), but what is it off of? Mine has the whole part number stamped in it, not painted. That suggests this is older than B4, but unfortunately with Audi one can never be sure. That the paint is still there, and it from the Northeast no less is interesting.
Did you try calling Audi parts to see if they can run the number? I think your first number is an 8 not a 3. I think the last digit is an N not an H. I was hoping maybe you'd find the OEM number stamped on it somewhere, and maybe it was adapted for use in a different model at the factory. That seems a moot point now. As I said, this very well may work, and may be better with the extra reinforcement. But I'd sure like to know what car it came off of.
Keep us posted on this, I'm surprised other B4 quattro owners aren't chiming in on the mystery.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too find this fascinating. In my email with Force5 I asked about the difference in part numbers, will this work and what vehicle it came off of, the only response I got was "Yup, all the same stuff, '93-'95 90q will all bolt up." So from that I assumed it was off of a b4. The subframe was in excellent condition so I wouldn't be surprised if the donor vehicle is not from NE.

I have not called Audi Parts to run the number, but merton1973 looked up the number(8A0-199-315N) and it came back for a 1990-92 5 cylinder Auto. I'm not sure how similar looking the subframes are, but I think those versions used stamped steel control arms, I could be very wrong, and this subframe came with cast control arms.

My initial reaction to the extra supports was that this subframe could have come from a b4 cabriolet and the extra support on the subframe was due to lacking a structural roof.

I'm planning on doing the swap next weekend, so I'll keep the updates coming.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I've seen three of them in the last 6 months--the one I scrapped--the 93 with 10mm bushings, and a replacement from Cali. Ain't none of them looked like that.
File a claim with the CC company, that'll get their attention. Just kidding...rofl.
What did they charge you for this, if I can ask?
Hopefully it will line up the same, and permit you to get your 4 wheel alignment right.

I believe the Control arms are cast. Any PN on them? Any PNs on anything else?

Control Arms are supposed to be:

893 407 147 D track control arm left
893 407 148 D track control arm right
Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I'm going after the subframe this weekend, and I've got a question about supporting the engine, where and how? Can I support it with a jack underneath? Or do I need an engine lift to support it from the top front?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B4 FWD and B4Q front sub frames cannot be interchanged.
I ran into this problem when I was sourcing mine as FWD are more numerous but useless.
I worked with and confirmed this with a 35+ year Audi master mechanic who had BTDT many times as he did the work.
After weeks of searching I found a very good example in OR which was 99% rust free and it even had almost new trans mounts already installed.
The front subs are listed at around 1K but are NLA so does not matter.

If you do find a sub I would suggest if you are in a salty area to paint it with POR15 prior to installing as this part is getting more rare every year.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

You should only need to support the trans. The engine mounts attach to the body. I used a bottle jack and a block of wood near the drain plug.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know it's been a while but I've had the new/used subframe installed for about 3 weeks with aluminum bushings, street density control arm bushings, and street density trans mounts. Before I installed the subframe, control arms and sway bar I cleaned them up, sanded, primed and painted them.

It went well despite doing it on jack stands in the snow and I am very pleased with the outcome. The front end is definitely stiffer and the ride is more responsive. The old subframe is a pos, the rust and hole ended up being a lot worse than I originally thought, cracks coming off the hole all over the place.

As for the origins of the subframe, I'm almost certain it came from a cabriolet. There was a cab in my friends shop and it had the same supports welded along the sides, leaving me to believe that the supports are there to add support in order to compensate for the lack of roof.
Attached Images      
Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow. now THERE is a tip. Thanks! Every now and again I see a Cabbie in the yard---will def. grab a subframe for my Q. Makes sense it would be clean in the N.East too, most folks dont drive those in the snow and salt. No wonder Force5 didn't want to tell you what it came off of. Keep us posted--any alignment issues?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993audi90
wow. now THERE is a tip. Thanks! Every now and again I see a Cabbie in the yard---will def. grab a subframe for my Q. Makes sense it would be clean in the N.East too, most folks dont drive those in the snow and salt. No wonder Force5 didn't want to tell you what it came off of. Keep us posted--any alignment issues?
Cabs are only FWD/Auto so the subframe will not work for Q

Quick Reply: '95 90q Upper Oil Gasket and Subframe questions