90 quattro 20v: Sell it or keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 quattro 20v: Sell it or keep it?

Last year I bought my 90 20v quattro for $800. It didn't run well, but the body was 8/10 and the title was clean, so I went for it. The guy who sold it to me wasn't too keen on maintenance so there was a lot to catch up on. Luckily most of the problems, although numerous, were somewhat easy fixes. Some were more expensive. So far, this is what I have fixed/replaced.
  • Timing belt, water pump, front seals
  • O2 sensor, fuel pressure regulator, knock sensor (vw)
  • ISV (came from england)
  • Front struts, strut bearings
  • Ignition lock cylinder (PITA)

The car runs well, mostly, however there are still a few things to be fixed before I would call the car 'reliable:'
  • Crankcase breather hose
  • Rear struts
  • Radiator (slow leak)

During the past year I've learned a few things; first, owning a car for which parts haven't been made in ten years sucks, and second, I absolutely love the quattro chassis. Herein lies the problem. I would love to keep this car, the I5 sounds sooo good and the quattro unrivaled, however I am scared something bad will happen to it, and I will be left with nothing to show for all of time and money I've put into it.

I love the car, but is it worth the trouble in the long run? Will its value increase because of its rarity, or will it decrease due to the difficulty of finding parts? Are there enough Audi enthusiasts out there who would know what this car is, and be willing to pay for it? I would hate to sell this car to any kid.

What is your opinion?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd keep it if you like it.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the bottom is mostly rust free, and should be in Oregon, keep it. You can find the parts you need if you look. How many miles on it? I would keep it. Parts will become NLA, but if you don't mind going to JYs, I would start to stock some bits and pieces. If you keep up on the car, keep it clean, it will not go down in value.

Greg W.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Keep it. In doing my research I have been struck by how reliable and durable this series is compared to some others. Sure, this or that will need fixing but I have done a TON of reading in the last couple weeks since a 20V sedan found its way into my garage and these seem to be the ones that always start and get home.

So keep it and know that I'm over here in Coeur d'Alene with a sister car and if you need some advice, etc I'll be there. I have mine on jacks and am performing all the major services. The 034 Bosch injector conversion kit is on its way and I'll be able to tell you how it works out in a week or so. Hopefully I'll have it back together by the end of next weekend and out running around.

I know a lot of folks consider these expensive to own, but I have the feeling if all the expensive bits are kept awash in fresh fluids (cheap) then they will last a very long time. I already have some spares if you need anything.

Regards, DougM
Old 02-19-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have made a wise choice, young Jedi. Treat her well and you'll be fine.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to everybody for their input.

I've had multiple people tell me these I5s are durable and made very well. I had a '91 E30 with a M42 engine which ran like a champ until I sold it, with 288,000mi. I regret selling that car, and I'm sure I would regret selling this car. It's about to turn 195,000, so there's still plenty of life in her (knock on wood).

I think full-coverage insurance would be the way to go; I work at a ski area and feel it's only a matter of time before somebody else hits me. I would not like to bear the burden of replacing any of that glass!

I'm beginning to think about my repairs and maintenance in a more long term manner, so I am hoping my investment of time, money, and blood, would be well spent.

cheers
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi 80 quattro

Originally Posted by Solid20vq
Thanks to everybody for their input.

I've had multiple people tell me these I5s are durable and made very well. I had a '91 E30 with a M42 engine which ran like a champ until I sold it, with 288,000mi. I regret selling that car, and I'm sure I would regret selling this car. It's about to turn 195,000, so there's still plenty of life in her (knock on wood).

I think full-coverage insurance would be the way to go; I work at a ski area and feel it's only a matter of time before somebody else hits me. I would not like to bear the burden of replacing any of that glass!

I'm beginning to think about my repairs and maintenance in a more long term manner, so I am hoping my investment of time, money, and blood, would be well spent.

cheers
I have audi 80 2.3 91 Quattro its done 286,000 miles stamped every 10.000 by dealer and it goes like stink just replaceing everythink on her now, before she goes wrong but love car and woundent get rid her still get all parts for her to gaz