1995 Audi Cabrio convertible top issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Audi Cabrio convertible top issues

New to the forum and new to Audi's. But my son just bought a 95 Audi Cabrio that hat some convertible top issues. The issue is, it requires some manual input to open and close. When the top is up and you click the button to drop the top. The boot thing will crack open, but wont open fully. At that point you have to go through some manual steps to open the boot, manually put the top into the boot. But after that you can use the button to have the top click into place. Kinda the same thing going back the opposite direction.

What are some things I can look at to see about fixing this? I am pretty good with cars, but I am mostly a muscle car guy. Any help, tips, resources greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

First step is check the pump fluid level..being an Audi..it is not as simple as it could be.

The pump lives over on the right rear..inside the trunk. With the top down..the level should be indicated at the max mark.

Sometimes that plastic reservoir cracks or leaks fluid slowly..a spare is available from Audi..if you find a leak.

If you need to add fluid..could be a port on the top (as in the picture)..or the side of the pump..use hydraulic fluid part # G-004-000-M2
Old 01-31-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the hydraulic pump has failed. In a 20 year+ old Audi it would be a miracle if the pump has not failed.These are expensive devices, best you at least talk to an Audi dealer for some advice.
There are also some posts on You Tube showing a way to reset the system if the hydraulic system has not failed, which you might also try.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, will start with the advice given..
Old 02-05-2017, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just posted a bunch of pages on this on another thread. The vast majority of top issues involve broken wires at the trunk hinge. Look at those pages. The convertible top control module (CTCM) needs all parameters to be met or it shuts down the sequence and you get the malfunction indicator light in the dash. The "boot thing" is the compartment cover. It will not raise if the trunk does not lock. This is because the compartment cover will hit the trunk lid if it is open. At this point in the sequence, the CTCM sends a signal to the central locking system to lock the trunk. The trunk lid locking motor turns the lock. Electrically in the '95, pneumatically in the '94. Then the Trunk Lid Closed Position Switch sends a signal to the CTCM saying "The trunk is locked." You can try to manually lock the trunk with your key and see if that tricks the system. If the Trunk Lid Closed Position Switch is malfunctioning or the wires are broken and the "locked" signal is not getting to the CTCM, then the top is not going to open. There are many posts on the wiring with photos of the wiring bundle. Sometimes the wire break is not visible as the insulation is still intact. You have to manipulate the wires to feel the break, or test the continuity with a multimeter and the appropriate probes (which are sort of expensive). I go the cheap route by sticking pins in the wire as a probe and then check by touching the pins. I only know of one person to have an actual top motor failure. Me. In my case the motor commutator groves became filled with brush material and shorted, causing the fuse to blow. I disassembled the whole thing, cleaned out the grooves, and if worked fine. If the motor is turning, the pump is going to operate. Unless your trunk under the spare has oil in it, (the same oil as the power steering), and/or you can see fluid up to the line on the reservoir, you don't have a fluid leak.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated. You have a link to that other thread you spoke about? I'd like to read it.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

https://www.audi-cabrio-club.info/fa...=16&artlang=de

Use Google Chrome and translate the page.

I got some silicone wires repair kit from Gewie..on sale at the time, $70 right and left.

More pricey now..still a good deal as they have those rubber body plugs and plastic connectors that go inside the trunk..the silicone will last a long time.

https://www.gewie.eu/kfz/audi/audi-8...ant-80-cabrio/
Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...rally-2909746/ just a few posts down the page. They are in PDF format.