What must I do to mount a V8 sunshade in my 5000TQ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What must I do to mount a V8 sunshade in my 5000TQ?

That huge piece of glass in the rear of my 5000TQ sedan allows lots of Florida sunshine inside the cabin on hot summer days, and I'd like to block some of it.

By browsing ETKA, I gather that Audi fit both a manual- and an electrically- operated rear glass sunshade to the V8.

I'd like to fit either sunshade to my car. What's involved in doing so, please?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Rear parcel shelf has to be swapped, the d-pillar covers have integrated catches so those have to be swapped too.

I think the US only got manual shades.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RussB
That huge piece of glass in the rear of my 5000TQ sedan allows lots of Florida sunshine inside the cabin on hot summer days, and I'd like to block some of it.

By browsing ETKA, I gather that Audi fit both a manual- and an electrically- operated rear glass sunshade to the V8.

I'd like to fit either sunshade to my car. What's involved in doing so, please?
A long time ago I was browsing a local junk yard and at the time they had a 5000 with the rear sunshade. It was interesting to me because the car was a FWD, auto but it had that option. To this day, thats the only 5000 I've seen with it. Looked like way too much work to remove plus the rear shelf in it was beige and mine is black.

I had the rear window tinted instead. My back window is very dark, I think one step away from limo and the side windows (front and rear doors) are the lightest tint avail. Audi glass tends to be a tad darker according to the tint guy so the light tint coupled with the factory glass gives it a decent heat resistence and keep the sunlight off the leather when the car is outside. Needless to say, it also helps with the A/C which is important to me. Chicago can be as bad or worse than FL in the summer

Since your in FL, I can't imagine not having tinted windows there. It's legal there isn't it? The laws about tinting here have recently changed. It's now legal provided you follow their ridiculous and obscure guidelines. I'm not even clear if my car qualifies but I don't have any problems with getting pulled over.

I you want, I can get you some photos of mine to see what it looks like with tinted glass.

R
Old 10-15-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I needed that.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All our 100,200s have the sunshade down here (NZ).

Pity abt freight charges ....
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Randolph. I've seen many 5000s, 100s, and 200s in u-pull it yards, but only one V8.

My car's AC compressor was rebuilt in 2002 and still pumps R12 refrigerant. It does a good job. (I replaced the broken fresh air flap spring, so it recirculates cabin air when it's supposed to.) I'll probably stick with R12, despite its cost.

Florida does allow tinted glass and has strict tinting specs. I see lots of ghettoized cars whose tinting clearly violates the law, but I guess that they don't get stopped.

My car's glass is all stock. I don't want to tint the rear windshield. A friend has offered an electrically-operated sunshade from an Infiniti that looks like it's the perfect size, but it will require cutting and welding the horizontal sheet metal beneath the rear shelf. (I'm sure that this piece is structural.) I may resort to that if I can't find a better solution.

Fitting a sunshade from a V8 looks like the easiest and tidiest solution. I think that blue interiors were popular in V8s, weren't they?

Please upload or email me photos of your glass-tinted car. I like the appearance of glass tinting, I just don't like the effect when I drive a tinted car at night.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Here are a few photos

Russ, here's some pics. Hopefully this will aid you in your decision.

You will notice that in the 1st photo the windows are closed but because there is a fair amount of daylight coming in the front windshield they don't look that dark.

In the 2nd pic, the car was in a parking garage and there is no direct light hitting the car but again you can see the side windows are fairly light.

In the 3rd pic, the sun is behind the car and I have the front windows open but you can see how the rear side windows look. Again, both front and rear doors match. Only the rear window is very dark. I don't seem to have a pic of the car from behind.

I agree with you that too dark of windows makes a car look ghetto. Especially when the rear side windows are tinted but the front side windows aren't. Yuck! Looks horrid. I also don't like too dark side windows as they are a hindrance especially in the rain. In the daytime especially when the sun is out and coming in the front windshield you can barely tell the side windows are tinted but the back window looks very dark no matter the lighting outside. One thing about the dark rear tint that I like is you can easily see the "quattro" script written on the back window.

R
Attached Images    
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your car looks very nice, Randolph.