Seeking BTDT on fixing sagging headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster 2
Yes, paper fastners exactly like what is pictured. The little "legs" spread out upon insertion into the head liner, and hold the sagging top up great. It is a quick simple permanent fix. They work great. No one ever gets into my car and asks what they are. When the head liner is fastened in place, no one ever mentions anything about the head liner. It is only when it is sagging down that people notice the problem.

Sigh.....why fix it right, when you can just hack the **** out of it? You sure you guys don't drive Honda's? ( oh wait, even those guys do there headliners the correct way)
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Now now!

I don't have the time right now to do a full R&R of the headliner, getting it recovered etc. Got WAY too many important Audi and 944 (and house, and music, and girlfriend) things going on. Audis are needy, man!

But this will get me through for now so I can see out the back! Then down the road, I'll pull the headliner out of my parts Avant and do it right!

Originally Posted by 32vquattro
Sigh.....why fix it right, when you can just hack the **** out of it? You sure you guys don't drive Honda's? ( oh wait, even those guys do there headliners the correct way)
Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't remember who it was but someone on here within the past few yrs posted pictures and maybe a writeup on doing his headliner in Alcantara. It was a type 44 but I don't remember if it was a V8, 5K, or 200. They all have basically the same procedure for headliners anyway I believe. It lookes great. I love that Alcantara stuff. When I have time I'll try to search for it.

R
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the headliner is glued, mostly in the centre.

I used a scraper and starting from outside slowy push in towards centre. Work around from all the sides till it is sort of hanging from centre.

With mine they have been all cardboard backed and try not to dig into the cardboard too much.

Like I have said before, I have THREE headliners (2 sun/ 1 not) in garage, excellent condition, BUT the postage would kill yah !

Last edited by Pushbutton_auto; 05-21-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RB-200 20v
The fabric on my 91 200q20v's headliner had sagged many times. I glued it back only to have it sag in a week or two. A few days ago I just got fed up and tore the fabric off the headliner. Now I'd like to remove the headliner and properly cover it [no more padded fabric though, the paint suggestion sounds good, maybe faux carbon fiber, maybe just black paint]. I've read the posts and looked through Bentley.

It seems to me that I don't need to remove the entire sunroof. It looks that if I were to bend the clips back that hold the trim around the opening and remove that trim that would free the liner. It appears that I don't need to remove the C pillar or the back seat only the A and B pillars. I've removed the handles above each door and the lights, I've got the sun visors off but, I'm having a hard time getting the cover off the inner, clip part of the sunvisors so I may get at the screws. I take it the liner is partly glued to the roof.

Any comments about the above paragraph would be, as always, greatly appreciated!
You're right, if you bend the tabs on the trim the sunroof stays put. Also I threw a few layers of clear-coat over the paint as it was easily scratched.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha ha, this is funny but go easy on us Honda guys. If it wasn't for my honda I would never get to work on time! I've been pounding on this car for years now and haven't had to fix anything. Oh and it is not a douche mobile either. It doesn't have a wing or even a 6" obnoxious exhaust. Just a mild 3-way adjustable "suspension kit" (not cut springs w/ out of camber wheels) and 50 series tires. But it will never replace my Audi.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yota-toy
Ha ha, this is funny but go easy on us Honda guys. If it wasn't for my honda I would never get to work on time! I've been pounding on this car for years now and haven't had to fix anything. Oh and it is not a douche mobile either. It doesn't have a wing or even a 6" obnoxious exhaust. Just a mild 3-way adjustable "suspension kit" (not cut springs w/ out of camber wheels) and 50 series tires. But it will never replace my Audi.
Not bashing Honda's at all, just comparing the mentality of some of the owners of older Audi's with the mentality of most of the Honda owners :P
Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not bashing Honda's at all, just comparing the mentality of some of the owners of older Audi's with the mentality of most of the Honda owners :P

Say what you want about older Audi's with the mentality of most Honda owners, I am the guy who has used the paper fastners on a previous 86 Audi 5K, and a VW Quantum. My 87 5K is the latest with the paper fastners. Sorry to say, but I have better things in life to do then put a lot of time in redoing headliners. You can only invest so much time on Audis and VWs built in the 1980's. At some point, all became old cars, with function becoming more important then looking pristine. My mentality is that you can love old cars just so long, then it is time to move on, regardless of brand label.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Rooster2, don't take his obsessiveness personally. I agree with you on this, and actually just got my paper fasteners yesterday and plan on doing this fix in the next week or so (after I get my damned Porsche back on the F-in road!). For most folks, even keeping an 80s car running AT ALL is beyond the norm.

Anyway, I AM also ****, and WILL be pulling my headliner down the road, but I know I'm a freak! :P

Originally Posted by rooster 2
Say what you want about older Audi's with the mentality of most Honda owners, I am the guy who has used the paper fastners on a previous 86 Audi 5K, and a VW Quantum. My 87 5K is the latest with the paper fastners. Sorry to say, but I have better things in life to do then put a lot of time in redoing headliners. You can only invest so much time on Audis and VWs built in the 1980's. At some point, all became old cars, with function becoming more important then looking pristine. My mentality is that you can love old cars just so long, then it is time to move on, regardless of brand label.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm leaning towards rolling epoxy on mine (fiberglass resin). Should cure up paintable. Then i can add textured non-slip to keep it safe.

Quick Reply: Seeking BTDT on fixing sagging headliner