restoring 1986 Audi 5000

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restoring 1986 Audi 5000

The car only has 80 miles and was in storage for years. Besides the a/c condenser and drivers heated seat, everything works. Can you let me know some of the things I need to do before I start driving it regularly. I have replaced the battery, starter, fuel filter, plugs, all brakes and lines, oil change, transmission flush, coolant flush. I have updated the headlights, added led driving lights, new radio and speakers, power antenna, and I am sure there are things I forgot. The break warning comes on occasionally, so I am wondering if there is air in the system and the coolant gauge does not want to work even though I replaced the sensor. thanks for your help
Old 11-03-2014, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Replace the gear oil. Get a siphoning pump from Harbor Freight for $8 bucks, and go in thru the speedometer gear. See my post "Easy Diff. Gear Oil Change" if its still out there. Brake warning light is probably your Brake Booster "Bomb". You can replace, or disconnect the 2 plug wire behind the master cylinder. Brake system is hefty enough without it. Flush and Change Power Steering fluid to Mobil ! ATF. For A/C Condenser, check Carparts.com for used salvage yard parts. Get some Seafoam for the gas tank.
Check suspension, boots, etc. Replace air filter, and O2 sensor while the airbox is out. Uses same O2 sensor as 88 Thunderbird, if money becomes an issue.

Multiple other things. Get a Bentley Manual from ebay, or somewhere, cuz you'll need it.
Reason I know is because I have a 86 5k Turbo too....
Old 11-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks, i will post pictures when done,

[QUOTE=audi_marv;24620447]Replace the gear oil. Get a siphoning pump from Harbor Freight for $8 bucks, and go in thru the speedometer gear. See my post "Easy Diff. Gear Oil Change" if its still out there. Brake warning light is probably your Brake Booster "Bomb". You can replace, or disconnect the 2 plug wire behind the master cylinder. Brake system is hefty enough without it. Flush and Change Power Steering fluid to Mobil ! ATF. For A/C Condenser, check Carparts.com for used salvage yard parts. Get some Seafoam for the gas tank.
Check suspension, boots, etc. Replace air filter, and O2 sensor while the airbox is out. Uses same O2 sensor as 88 Thunderbird, if money becomes an issue.

Multiple other things. Get a Bentley Manual from ebay, or somewhere, cuz you'll need it.
Reason I know is because I have a 86 5k Turbo

thanks, I will probably just replace the struts next year since I am putting back into storage for the winter, parts are getting very hard to come by
Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

They used ATF for the early body style 5000 I think 82 and older. But I know for certain that his 86 body style uses the special Pentosin PS fluid. You have the same system on your own car, but it is my understanding you should not put ATF in that system. The accumulator that he has which probably needs to be replaced as you mentioned, isn't designed to work with ATF nor is the pump or rack. On that car the PS pump supplies pressure to the steering system and the brake system both.

Last edited by Jeff-AudiUSAParts; 11-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Been using the Mobil 1 ATF in my car for about 3 yrs. now. Its a synthetic ATF, and actually stopped my rack from leaking. Used the Pentosin for years, and it just doesn't hold up to the heat or under the hood temps. As always....I would search this site on using Mobil 1, and also the quattroworld site, if you have concerns. Why use 30 yr old oil technology...plus its half the cost.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default restoring

I have replaced the gear oil as well. Online most replacement fluids for the Audi 5000 are synthetic now. They are all easy to get. I am trying to repair the a/c condenser since a new one does not exist and you cannot use the one from the next model years. Has anyone replaced the air conditioning system totally with a new one which could be modified to be fitted in the car...thx