radiator replacement - leaking temp sender

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator replacement - leaking temp sender

Hi All,

Finally got around to replacing the radiator in my 5kcstqa. Generally, not too bad. Worst part of the job, IMHO, is trying to drain the system at the hose that connects to the block near the Thermostat housing...I never got that hose off but managed to break the seal with a screwdriver and let it drain that way...any tips for the future? That ~3" section of hose is new...replaced with Tstat a month or two ago (cut the old one off).

Anyway, everything went together fine - the new expansion tank is nice - I can actually see the coolant level! However, the temp sender is leaking slowly. I installed the sender in the new radiator with a new Audi paper-like gasket when the radiator was out of the car using an adjustable crescent wrench....I don't think I tightened it enough. I intend to purchase a deep socket - Is the 30 mm deep socket the right size? Can I unplug the sender and get this socket on the sender without removing lower rad hose and wasting my spiffy G11 blue magic coolant?

(I do have a borrowed torque wrench that I should have used the first time (and will use with my new socket) but was too lazy to go to FLAPS to buy the $25 socket...another lesson learned.)

thanks again,

graba
Old 01-21-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: radiator replacement - leaking temp sender

took a chance based on my measurement of the adjustable wrench I used to install the temp sensor....it is 30 mm...the deep socket ($25 at Flaps) fit over it nicely..a normal depth socket may even work....now I need a 1/2 inch xtension to get the torque wrench on it...getting close.

-graba
Old 01-22-2003, 06:54 AM

You could add a little thin layer of gasket sealer but I didn't find that necessary on mine. Also only used a crescent wrench on mine but its more important that you do it in a way you are comfortable with. What one guys calls tight is loose to the next or maybe not up torque specs either.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:28 AM

Thanks crotext. the 30 mm deep socket with a 5-inch extension and the cooling fan removed allowed me access to the temp sender. I couldn't get it to 85 ft-lbs, but it's tight and doesn't seem to be leaking. FYI - the "bar type" torque wrench wouldn't work due to space limitations...needed a ratcheting torque wrench (gotta like having air-cooled maniacs for friends - they have lots of nice tools!).

Ready for more snow!

-graba
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just FYI, the temp sender in the radiator and the multifunction temp sender in the head are both 29mm. A good tool to have is a 28mm crowfoot that you slightly grind out to 29mm. That's what I use in my shop for the above senders. You can actually strip the sender nut using a 30mm socket/wrench, btst.

WRT torque, if it's leaking it's not tight enough. 85lb/ft is a lot, and most folks undertorque these senders.

HTH

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago
'87 Type44tqw
Old 01-23-2003, 08:24 AM

Shortyq:

thanks for the response...I managed to get everything tight with the 30mm deep socket that I bought. I couldn't get the 85 ft-lbs with the unit in the car but all seems tight...hope I can finde some other use for that socket!

thanks, graba