not trying to over post but....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not trying to over post but....

can i drive my v8 in limp mode or is it bad for the car? Need to use it.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: not trying to over post but....

IMHO, its all bad, but if it doesn't bother you, you could probably still drive it around town, no high RPMs and no highway use. And for really short distances.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let's K (keep) I (it) S (simple) S (stupid) ;-)

Let's start from the begging.....all this started after you messed with the ECU. From what you have said the indacators in the IC aren't all highlighted, so by the IC you aren't in limp mode. Normally limp mode is displayed with every indecator highlighted. Mind you the Red led still lights up the PRND321.
Limp mode is very noticable as far as what you feel power wise from the car.
I think that chip messed with the ECU in some way & damaged it. Or somethings not hooked up rite.

As far as driveability....I wouldn't drive the snot out of it.
Not that there's prolly a ton of shops out your way that now what a V8 is....but were you going to take the car? & when you take the car I would copy off the method of pulling codes & such from SJM's web site for the tech.

I could walk you through this....save you maybe a bunch of $$$$. It could get expensive when it comes to haveing to chase down complicated issues such as this.

It's rather hard to follow whats gone on, so if you could summerize what has happened, you buy the car it runs great at 1st. You do a Seafoam treatment & the car runns better, or at least the same as it did before.
Then you install the chip & all hell breakes loose!
Just a shot in the dark....but I think you have a bad ECU, or somethings not connected rite, or you have a mechanical problem with the trans is totaly unrelated to the chip install....which I don't think is the case.

The only way to find out is to blink out the codes!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thats what the plan is

I'm like 100% its an ecu thing. But then again if the ECU was bad wouldn't that cause more problems. All I know is that the ECU and the TCU work together. The shop here in Anchorage Alaska actually knows Audi v8's because one of the mechanics there owns one. Wow ain't I lucky. I am going to get the tranny flushed and a new filter(don't think it has been done) and then have them pull codes. I read over that site but it was like a foreign language to me. So I'm going to leave it up to the pros. They have a computer made for older Audi's they specialize in 80-early 90's Audi's. I noticed it performing like this the 1st drive with the new chip. I've heard that low tranny fluid can cause limp mode so that may be another problem.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a 4.2 ECU if you need one.

and my car is in limp mode and all my trans lights aren't on. but thats because my car doesn't know its left from its right, at the moment.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you have msn or something easy to reach you? MY name is Kyle