No-Start Woes.....Long post

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No-Start Woes.....Long post

So Thursday I jump in my 1987 5000CSQT to run to the bank from work, turn the key, Nothing - No clicking , no whrirring, Nada. After turning the key about 50 times...Voila. Go to bank , get back to work, leave for home at 6:00, turn key - Nothing. Push start, go to battery store and am told my battery is dying. Replace battery, turn key-You guessed it. Push start, go home , p/u rebuilt Bosch starter, install starter, put it all back together- Nothing. Just a faint double click is heard. Trace click noise to the ABS pump?? Everyting else works with the key 'on' and the battery shows 12v output. If my ign.switch was bad , then why would I get the click? I did notice that the smaller wire going to the starter solenoid was pretty corroded. I have seen posts where others say 'I replaced the wire' but they dont say how. It has to be about a half mile long and loop through a dozen impossible to reach areas. anyway , any help would be appreciated.

p.s. I 'jumped' the starter on the car and it ran but did not engage the flywheel.

-Aaron
Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No-Start Woes.....Long post

My recent problem was similar and was the ignition switch. If you need info on how to replace I can elaborate. Wouldn't switch when hot. Can't comment on the clicking.

I did not replace the wire to the starter.It ohmed out OK. I was afraid of making things worse. Don't think of it as replacing the wire, run a new one through the easiest path switch to starter.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:31 PM

Default There is a short wire between the starter solenoid and ...

the starter motor. Clean the connection of the wire at the solenoid side.

Since you just put in a rebuilt starter, I kind of doubt this is the problem. But the click you heard does sound to me comming from the starter solenoid. If this is the case, then the power gets to the solenoid but not the starter motor which means either the connection I mentioned above is bad or the rebuilt starter need re-rebuilt.

If you are not sure how to check power gets to the starter solenoid or not, let us know.

Zhaoming
Old 08-09-2004, 05:13 PM

Default Re: No-Start Woes.....Long post - UPDATE!

I replaced the ignition switch tonight and nothing changed!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!

-Aaron
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay, put down the shotgun...

Buckshot does not make a "statement" on a 5k.

I had the same thing on my old TQW. Get in, turn key, get warning lights on dash but when you go to hit the starter - nothing. Dash warning lights go completely out, then the clock starts blinking...

Battery 'seemed' to be okay, but as soon as the jumper cables were attached, car would start. In my case, the battery was the culprit.

Jump it with jumper cables at the battery and see if it starts. If not, we'll troubleshoot from there.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Okay, put down the shotgun...

Jumped the starter with a cable from the positive jumper post to the ign. post on the solenoid. Car started right up...

-aaron
Old 08-10-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: No-Start Woes.....Long post - UPDATE #2

Took electric ignition switch off of back of cylinder, put a screwdriver in switch and turned it....Car fired right up- I need a new key lock cylinder :-(( Not something I feel comfortable doing myself. Hey , at least I have a brand new battery, ignition switch, and starter that I didn't need!!

-Aaron
Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Shokan had the whole assy for about $180

Removes by drilling out one bolt or lostening if the bolt head is still there.

Fairly easy job but you will need to find someone to change the lock cylinder so you keep the same key.

Bet you had the nasty broken tang problem. Little pot metal tang on back of the cylinder that turns the electrical switch breaks easily. BTDT
Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: There is a short wire between the starter solenoid and ...

try the adjustment of the magnetic lock if you have a auto. trans. last time my trouble was that
all light on all other things work but no response of the starter. the lock is situated on the side of the stick (left side)the adjustment consist on displacement of the little black piece on the right of the stick you have two screw under the two connection