Looking For Advice on a 3.6 V8 transplant

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Advice on a 3.6 V8 transplant

I have a 1990 V8 Quattro that needs a new motor put in it. I also have a new motor with 75k on it.

So I'm looking for some advice on pulling this off with little to no snags or hangups.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, sent you a brief message/not sure if it went thru as I just deleted all that stuff. Anyway while the book instructs you to leave the tranny, I've only pulled them as a unit, and personally, seems like separating the two in place might be problematic, but maybe someone's done that. Regardless of that, the book also doesn't tell you to remove the front bumper/core support, and I just can't see why you wouldn't. Also on that note, dropping the front subframe allows way more access, and you can do bushings/whatever @ same time. It's really not that bad, and with all that stuff off, you can deal with the issues with the ancillary stuff @ the same time. I just did this last week parting another car and honestly, if you take it apart in chunks, it's way easier......Tom
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ...

agreed, pull whole front off and drop the subframe,

and label all your wiring ...
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I got everything disconnected. All the wires out and all the bolts out, but I can't get the damn starter out to get to the torque converter bolts. It also won't separate from the trans yet, which as far as I can tell it should because I have all the bolts I can find taken out. So it's dark now and I'm very irritated, but alas tomorrow is another day to get re-frustrated.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well it sounds like you are leaving the tranny in? Did you get the rear starter bolt off yet? If not I use a 10mm hex cut to 1-1/4" to get on the bolt, and use a box end/bar on it to break it loose, then a ratcheting box end to remove. While it's possible to snake the starter around the oil filter, it's so much easier to just remove it. Don't crush yourself under the 450lb tranny.....Good luck, Tom

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...terboltpic.jpg
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Almost got it...

Ok,

I finally got it all put back in, and it wont turn over. So I got to looking around under the dash and found one little clip coming out the the engine wiring harness that wasn't plugged in.
I've torn everything out looking for where this might plug into and I can't find another clip under the dash anywhere. heres what it looks like if anyone has seen this before and knows where it goes and what its for, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks again for the help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just looked @ the complete intact dash still sitting on the cat's spare bed and there are no connectors with those wire colors on the dash. Diagram shows 2, 6 point connectors(T6A/B) that are near motronic/footwell, but no idea what they plug into. Looks like you've got 3 whites/black/brown-white. Does it not start, or does it do nothing? And the magic question is, how was sliding that tranny back in with the motor in the car?......I'm curious as are probably others. Make sure all your Kostal connectors are in the right numbered slot, as most of everything important is in there. If you can describe exactly where this connector is currently, I can take a quick look in the morning. You got the flywheel sensors plugged in/coil wires/etc....Good job, Tom
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, you made me look, and while I don't currently have the knee bolster on Lago, what you are looking @ in the pic is behind the side panel/up. That connector is pretty short, so if there's nothing close, I'd guess it's extra(guess)....maybe for that water heater we never got in the US.....Good luck, Tom
Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

that correct its very short, coming out of the engine harness right by where the #11 kostal connectors (you called them) come out.
nothing happens when i turn the key. the lights come on but nothing else. no click click like the starter sol went bad, i don't even hear the fuel pump kick on. i've got everything plugged back in except for this. i wen down and looked at one of my other cars and didn't fine this plug so that makes me think you might be right that its a extra.

so that being the case whats the problem? it ran before i tore it all apart. maybe if i got the flywheel sensor plugs in the wrong places? i remember there being 2 three pin plugs down under the vacuum diaphragm for the cruise control. but i put them back into the closest plug to where the wires wanted to fall. is it possible that i have the engine and trans plugs in backwards? both the plugs look to be exactly the same and could plug into either computer box.

as far as putting it back in? i only took the engine out, and left the trans in. it really wasn't too hard. i had to jack up the front of the trans to get to the bolts on the bottom, but one could also drop the sub-frame and get it out of the way. it seems to me like there was way less things to disconnect and reconnect.

thanks again for all the help i really appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

You swapped motors correct?...Did you verify that the new motor turned over by hand?....
The ECU harness is red wrapped and has the number 13 on it and goes to the larger of the 2 box's/Black wrapped harness goes to the TCU and is the smaller box....one comes from the right/other from the left, not sure which since this post timed out on me, and can't recall. Regardless, still think you are missing a connection on starter/ground strap/something since the starter wiring is separate from those I believe. Good luck, Tom

Quick Reply: Looking For Advice on a 3.6 V8 transplant