leak in fuel supply line-5000cstq

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak in fuel supply line-5000cstq

Hi all,

Finally got around to trouble shooting the fuel leak at the rear of my 5000cstq--found a small split in the fuel supply line between the pump and the accumulator. The split is in the rubber line about an inch upstream of the coupling. PN is 443201220D (I think).

Checking the Bentley manual it looks like I would have to drop (or at least lower) the fuel tank to get at all of the clamps, etc. That also means dropping the rear diff, drive shaft, and everything, no?

Is it possible--or even advisable--to replace the accumulator end of the line with new hose using appropriate fuel injection-style hose clamps?

The car is currently on ramps in the driveway and wife.gov is growing a little weary of it just sitting there . . . .

Any insights, BTDTs would be GREATLY appreciated!

All the best,

Steve A-
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Steve on my 5000CDQT I replaced all the lines from front to back on my car with new metal lines, but ended up using fuel injector rubber hose at both ends to connect the old and new lines. Get a 3-4" (metal tube)line in metric or " equal to the old o/dia. File some small groves around the out side of the line (this will help when you clamp the rubber hose to the line)Cut the damaged area out and insert the new line. use two clamps per side for safty. Your local auto store should have FUEL INJECT Hose if you end up needing it + metal lines. I used good qulity hose clamps and the job turn out without any problems or safty concerns.

It is possible if memory serves me correct , undo the line at the top of the tank and pull it down from underneath the car. Make sure to tie a line on the end of the hose so that you can pull it back up after you fix/replace.I know it is really tight down there, but if you can avoid the above it will save you some time and frustration.... Trust me after pulling my tank twice I can tell you it isn't an easy job...I'd rather have a root canal done. hope this helps and keep us posted. superdave

Last edited by 5000CDQturbo; 03-10-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 5000CDQturbo
Steve on my 5000CDQT I replaced all the lines from front to back on my car with new metal lines, but ended up using fuel injector rubber hose at both ends to connect the old and new lines. Go to you local auto store and ask for the dia that you need. I used good qulity hose clamps and the job turn out without any problems or safty concerns.
Thanks, that the answer I was hoping for! I'll use the FI hose with the SAE 30R9 rating and fuel injector hose clamps. I've got three FLAPS in the local area (Auto Zone, Advance, and O'Reilly) so I should be able to find something good (either Goodyear or Dayco).

This is the same thing I've done for our Volvos when replacing the in-tank pump/fuel sender assemblies, but wanted to make sure this was an acceptable fix for the Audi.

Thanks again!

Steve A-
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default OK, it's fixed.

I ended up sectioning in a length of 30R9 fuel line for now. No leaks after almost a month, so it looks like it's time to move on to other things--like a rebuilt hydraulic pump and all new hoses . . . .

Thanks again for all the help!

Steve A-