Heater core question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heater core question

I seem to recall that the heater core does not come out from where the elbows are.

once the box is split in half, the core is right there, BUT the end where the elbows are has silicone or glue to seal that edge.

Of all the hardships I endured doing the heater core 2 summers ago, the actual removal of the heater core was a non-event.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default right of passage

I just remembered when I was doing the heater core and blower motor telling my wife that the job was a right of passage.

All she could do was chuckle at the foolish things we Audi folks say to help deal with the heart ache.

Somehow, I get the feeling we're not too far removed from the Star Wars convention dudes.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've never had an issue with this... can you get me/us a pic of what your talking

about?
I just don't see how it's not getting in the box.

& let me tell you........ I do not like the
"Got a feeling I'm on my own...I'll get by, thanks anyway"
kinda attitude.
I know your prolly frustrated a bit, but if you get a pic or something so we can see what you mean that would be great :-)
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Heater core question

if your using a plastic core you should be able to angle it and work it through ,sometimes a little file action on box will help. be sure to put foam back around core so it is a tight fit in box or you will have poor heat.some of the all metal core i have seen required cutting box
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Thanks you guys, but, I've got the box apart...

We assume that you removed the complete heater box (from the vehicle), as per Bentley pages 87.18, 87.30, & 87.31, AND that you have the 'RIGHT' part. Please see Fig. 1 & 2 on 87.31 which show the elbows you refer to, their orientation and approx. lenghts relative to the opening (end of the left housing). You need to 'guide' these elbows with your finger tips (from the outside)- there should be enough 'wriggle room'(inside the box) for the elbow tips to clear first. Be sure to first remove ALL of the old sealant around this opening before you start.
Cutting the ends off is simply NOT an option, even if you could make it work out (preformed hose lenghts, etc...)you will have nonstop leaks.
Installing the unit by yourself is a challenge unless you have the 'lift' bridge #10-222, 2075, etc.. A piece of lumber stradling the 'protected' fenders & a piece of plywood can be used as a temp. platform. It's also a good idea to remove/pull back anything that's in the way - e.g. wiper system, wiring, oil reservoir tank (for molded hoses), etc.
Since you have gone to all this work, replace the fan unit with a NEW one (not used), same goes for the RIGHT gasket around the bulkhead opening. Use the 'wrong' one and you will curse forever.
NOTE: Lower elbow connects to hose going to water pump.
Good Luck...........Erich