Fuba Power Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuba Power Antenna

I have original Fuba Power Antenna on my 1986 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Non Quattro. The mast is broken. I have no clue as to how to replace it. I tried opening all the screws but could not access mast portion. Dealer sells mast with plastic strip that goes over the gear.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Fuba Power Antenna

I had this same problem...You will want to fix it though because that particular antenna is the most compact, high tech unit EVER made (IMHO) Scouring the globe, I have not found a better unit.. Anyway, you have to remove the 'amplifier' unit which is attached to the motor body by a couple of screws. Remove the motor body cover and you will easily see how the antenna is threaded around the spool. Be certain to familiarize yourself with the orientaion of the mast around the spool (you'll need to thread the new one in exactly the same postion. BE VERY careful with the motor 'ring gear' as these are very brittle and hard to find. The last question will be -"OK I have this thing apart but how do I remove the mast from the unit?" Here is where I got completely frustrated. (busted apart 2 hard to find amp sections before realizing how simple this really was) Simply unscrew the black cap on the top of the old mast and slide it through the 'amplifier' section. Installation of new mast is fairly straightforward. Thread it around the spool just like the old one was, feed the mast through the amplifier section, screw on the new black cap and reassemble.

Good luck!!

Aaron
1987 5000csqt all original 278,000 miles
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Fuba Power Antenna

My special and big Thank You.
I fully agree with you about high tech Fuba Antenna. I have been enjoying extra ordinary piece of German Engineering for last two years. That is why I want to restore it fully. I have to address many things, antenna is just one of them. Car runs fine and I am able to move around. Althaugh you have said many things ( I did not understand) in your response, I would like to talk to you if you do not mind. Here is my E-mail address. Please let me know your phone number and also let me know if it is ok to call you around 9:15 PM EST. Thanks.
rajan_bhirud@yahoo.com