Checked ATF fluid level, and ir seems waaay over the max mark....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checked ATF fluid level, and ir seems waaay over the max mark....

I started the car and drove for 5 minutes then let it idle 15 minutes, changed gears P-R-N-D-2-1 for a while and checked the ATF dipstick...
Color seems to be fine ( redish and clean)...But I'm not sure on "how" the reading should be done..Ther are two circles marks, but when I did pulled up the dipstick, I was getting fuid way over the second ( I suppose max mark) circle mark....Car was running when I did this. Was that ok? Did I did the right thing? Should the car be running?
On another hand...How can the fluid be "stable" while the car is running? Isn't thta like engine Oil...Does it have to "rest"?
Anyway, waiting for the answers form you guys...But if I did it right....Could the overfill problem could cause slippage???
DOn't really understand Auto boxes...althought I'm learning....

Thanks
Cheers
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Checked ATF fluid level, and ir seems waaay over the max mark....

You don't mention how long you've had this car, because if fluid level its rising there's a gear lube leak from the differential. You say color is red and clean so I'll assume no leak. Chewck the fluid before you start the engine, on level ground, level should be at lower circle, start and drive a little to warm up, park, shut off, recheck level, should be at top circle. Fluid should feel warm not hot, i.e. it should not burn your skin. As for engine oil Porsche specifies oil level to be checked with engine running hot, same as older domestic ATF, so always follow manufacturer's specs, and get a Bentley..RTFM as my Audifellas would say...And yes overfilling causes slippage.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always thought that the ATF level should be checked with engine warm, gear selecter in Park, car on level parking surface, and engine RUNNING. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the engine be RUNNING?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default too much atf

too much atf causes sloshing inside the transmission and aeration in the fluid. microscopic air bubbles form in the fluid and can imitate high fluid level. check the level when its cold and if its any higher then the lower of the two circles, there is too much fluid. also, wipe the dipstick clean with a rag and once its warm, quickly dip it into the transmission and pull it out. this will get the most accurate result with the least amount of splashing onto the dipstick.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Engine SHOULD BE running as per Bentley 37.16B, however after checking so many after so many years I could tell just by looking at the level on the dipstick with engine off, which allowed me to more precisely adjust the level right between the two marks on dipstick -never top it off. the volume difference between the two marks on dipstick is just one pint.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 AM
OMP
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checked again in night cold temp. And still, fluid is way waaay over the second circle mark...

I did check the ATF fluid this morning in the 40's F degrees. Car was leveled.
Didn't start at all the engine, and checked the dispstick and the level, again, way over the second cicled mrk on it....Actually, the fluid goes u to the twisted part of the dipstick...
WOW!! Should taht be causing an slippage symptom?? Or on the other hand, is it just OK to have it that way?
In theory, what would have to happen with an overfilled ( bad) ATF fluid auto trans system?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To drain away excess ATF.........

Suggest using one of those cheap automotive fluid hand pumps to drain off excess ATF.

I am currently using one to change ATF fluid in my car. Pretty simple to use, insert plastic flexible hose in the tube where the ATF level stick resides. I can pump out about two and a half quarts of old dark fluid, then add fresh ATF through the same tube. Hand pump works great!