car is running rich and mass gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is running rich and mass gas smell

yeah so when i did the wires for the o2 sensor i thought i mixed some wires up but apparently not got a o2 sensor in there. speedometer is working, now the car is running super rich. backfireing like crazy and wont drive worth a damn. theres no engine codes being thrown. i had the distributor off when i was monkeying around where the o2 sensor plugs into but im pretty sure i put it back on correctly and cant imagine how someone could put it in backwards since they can only be put on one way per side.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you take the distributor out or just the dizzy cap off? If you took the whole distributor did you first turn the engine to TDC? And then replace the distributor while the engine was still at TDC and the timing marks all lined up correctly? Could be your timing is off now cause of that.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

double check your o2 wiring, ground, and heater element wire. may be your
o2 is sending conflicting signal to your ecu.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nick (Chris) the Dizzys on a V8 are pinned so the distributor can only go back in one way ( unless the pin was removed). Also the rotor is on an eccentric so it can also only fit one way. (Nice huh?).

If the V8 smells of raw fuel, I'd check FPR, & O2 (sensors & wiring). Knowing that you'r in AZ I wouldn't think that wiring would be a specific issue but the connectors can easily get crudded up. (and they are a PITA to get to).
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
Nick (Chris) the Dizzys on a V8 are pinned so the distributor can only go back in one way ( unless the pin was removed). Also the rotor is on an eccentric so it can also only fit one way. (Nice huh?).

If the V8 smells of raw fuel, I'd check FPR, & O2 (sensors & wiring). Knowing that you'r in AZ I wouldn't think that wiring would be a specific issue but the connectors can easily get crudded up. (and they are a PITA to get to).
yeah thats what i thought but i was reading on alldata something about actually needing to time the distributor and they do have markings for TDC on them. but like i said ive NEVER had this issue in the past. i just put in a used o2 sensor hoping that that would lean it out. ECU code went away and it ran slightly better but still like its on four cylinders. as for the wires they are in a little tight spot but i can access them alot easier for some reason in the 5 speed than i could in the automatic. i thought i did cross some sensor wires so i tried swapping them and the car wouldn't start. come to find out i was swaping the speed sensor, (i think) and cam position sensor, (i think) so turned em back how it was originally. FPR was replaced as well as i had the original but this problem was occuring before i replaced the FPR. my final answer is going to be the cap. (I've had this happen to me alot in the past and done it myself) the bolts from the cap that go into the dizzy break off pretty easily into the dizzy. my guess is that because the cap only has one bolt holding it on and theres rotor marks on the inside walls on the plastic. and the engine runs exsactly the same with the cap removed completly (minus sparkplug wires). im guessing that for quite a few years this sucker has been miracously held inplace and when i distrubed it i just couldn't find that sweet spot again. :/

Last edited by Calbha; 08-04-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Calbha
yeah so when i did the wires for the o2 sensor i thought i mixed some wires up but apparently not got a o2 sensor in there. speedometer is working, now the car is running super rich. backfireing like crazy and wont drive worth a damn. theres no engine codes being thrown. i had the distributor off when i was monkeying around where the o2 sensor plugs into but im pretty sure i put it back on correctly and cant imagine how someone could put it in backwards since they can only be put on one way per side.
Try disconnecting your lambda heater fuse. This heats the o2 sensor in cold weather. If you are running rich then you are endangering the longevity of your cats. I was missing this fuse for the aforementioned heater when I first bought my car(mind you this is a 200 20v Turbo). I installed a fuse to complete my initial tune of the car and started running excessively rich. Finally burned up my cats and had to gut them to get the car to run right. This could be your issue but since our cars are so different I am only offering this as a suggestion, remove your lambda heater fuse. Now I need new cats to get updated license plates since I need a emissions test and don't know how I will pass without a set of cats. Your issue sounds similar to mine. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

why would i never have a problem though before till taking out and rintalling the distributor
Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

E-mail me if you're still looking for a dizzy & cap.. (and which side).
Old 08-26-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ

replaced the FPR, (thought it could have been bad so i put the old one back on and same problem also remember i have the exhaust off from the cats back) o2 and cap spark is emiting from the distributor, i refuse to belive all wires and/or plugs went out at once, this is starting to lead me to belive that when i removed the distributor that maybe that pin did break and the timing is screwed up.

do you have a picture of the pin i should be looking for to see if it did break?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

well see the problem didn't start until i removed the distributor, all fuses and relays in place have been so for a minimum of a year and a half and there was never a problem.