3b engine build. i have a TON of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3b engine build. i have a TON of questions...

well im finally out of school with a degree in automotive technology. yay. now to move on to more pressing issues, i now have time to build my 3b engine i picked up last winter. i have everything removed down to the bare block. to fill you all in, the engine had a spun bearing which roasted the crank and #1 con rod. so i picked up a remanned crank with main and rod bearings for 400 and change. cams are sill good and lifters are brandy new. havnt had a chance to measure cylinder taper and all that good stuff yet, but the crosshatch pattern is still visible in all cylinders so im not too worried about it. pistons are carboned up but have no damage, and rings are showing very little signs of wear. valves are carboned up also, but it looks like either bad gas or low octnae gas are to blame.

Im aiming for about 400 crank hp, not goin too crazy cuz i want to keep it within the limits of the factory drivetrain. this engine will probable find its way into my 5000 unless i come across a better candidate. will this engine fit an 016 transmission? or do i need to find an 01E? possibility of making an adapter plate?

ive been searching around looking at aftermarket products and could not for the life of me find a set of aggressive profile cams. do they make them for this engine??

is it better to get a stroker crank or de stroker? or keep it at factory.

are all the factory internals forged? i know the crank and con rods are, but what about the pistons, wrist pins, bearing caps...?

Chromoly rings vs standard rings? how will the block and ring lands hold up? ive heard varying opinions on the effectiveness of chromoly rings...

Im going to get the head flow tested at school, and was also wondering if its worth getting the oversized/high flow valves. thats all i can think of now, but im sure ill have more questions as i make progress. thanks to all who provide feedback!!

eric
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 5000Q86

. will this engine fit an 016 transmission? or do i need to find an 01E? possibility of making an adapter plate?

ive been searching around looking at aftermarket products and could not for the life of me find a set of aggressive profile cams. do they make them for this engine??

is it better to get a stroker crank or de stroker? or keep it at factory.

Chromoly rings vs standard rings? how will the block and ring lands hold up? ive heard varying opinions on the effectiveness of chromoly rings...

Im going to get the head flow tested at school, and was also wondering if its worth getting the over sized/high flow valves.

eric
I'm not super familiar with the 3B engine but I've dinked around on enough various Audi turbo engines so here's some info...

Yes, the 3B will bolt to a 016.

You can get a 7A exhaust cam from the N/A 20v's as an upgrade or get RS2 cams if you want.

Stock crank is super strong and is fine. Stock rings are fine.

I don't see a reason to do over sized valves for the HP you're shooting for. A good port cleaning and matching wouldn't hurt.

The only other thing I think I would add is some Scat rods and the hardened bearings from 034motorpsort.

Also what engine management are you gonna use to run this car? The stock distributor system has it's limitations at high HP which has been documented over the years.

Steve
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 034 is where you need to go

Lots of rebuilding info there
Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im thinking full standalone or at least a 6al box setup, its gonna be a huge project to convert my mechanical injection to EFI, and finding a matching ecu is probably going to be next to impossible. but at this point in time, where the engine is still in pieces and on a stand, im not too worried about it. ill throw it out there though, anybody who has experience with conversions and wants to lend a hand, im more then happy to learn.

Eric