200Q MC-1 knock sensor - boost fault question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue44

I have read it's best to be running slightly under stoichometric center with full boost - meaning a little on the lean side (0.3-0.4volts)
Naw, if anything you'll want to be a bit rich on boost.

Running richer will help cool off the valves, starve off pinging and keep EGT's inline.

11:1 to 11:5:1 is what you'll want to shoot for. There is plenty of BTDT in the Audi 5cy community on what A/F ratios to run.

Steve
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I may have gotten my figure mixed up. I think I did read this exact figure 11:1. I was thinking anything above 14.7:1 was rich. I think you are right. Thanks for the clear up.

I was thinking slightly lean would be good if you don't have any knock because lean mixture supplies more heat to the turbo.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to hear the Seafoaming went without a hitch. I forgot to mention the smoke from the manifold, which is expected, and doesn't necessarily mean you have gasket issues. The massive heat, chemicals, and water, will cause smoke to billow from everywhere, and should return back to normal...unless upi know for sure you have bad gaskets. Could easily be the dreaded manifold bolts being loose....or as was in my case, not there at all !!!

You also need to change your oil, as it may now be quite dirty. You can do a second app of the Seafoam, or run it/techron thru the tank for added cleaning. Sure beats taking off the head and scrubbing down the valves !

Other things that could limit your boost are...the Multi-Function Temp Switch overheat default, the Air Temp Switch at the MM hose, a rip in the Wastegate diaphragm,....and of course, the knock sensor. You won't always get a code for these if the connection is intermittent.

Hopefully after changing the knock sensor, you will reach the coveted 1.9 bar.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Marv,

I just took off the intake and found that some of my exhaust manifold bolts are loose. I also noticed, lmao, that I'm missing one exh. bolt near the waste gate. I'll be fixing this pronto.

There doesn't appear to be any gaskets missing or blown out but of coures the manifold needs to be tightened and an additional bolt needs to be installed.

yes - oil change will be done before it's on the road again.

just an update,

Alex

(also got the right plugs, NGK BP5ET)