1987 5000S Q Welcome to my nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 5000S Q Welcome to my nightmare

I have posted previously on my non start problem, still non starting,cam timing & crank marks, distr. marks OK, ECU first gives 4444, re insert fuse gives 1111. remove #1 plug, will start for 20-30 seconds.I have not received fuel pressure test kit yet but have installed from formerly running parts car FD DPR & FR, ground wires OK, coil & ign test OK, fuel pump recent, tank drained, starting to lose hope, T44 knowledgeable mechanic in Hudson Valley NY might be helpful??
Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is the fuel pump working at all?

Just turn the key and stuff a fuse in the fuel pump relay, if you can hear it that's good news.

How old is your fuel filter? Do you have fuel making it to the injectors? With the pump running start "cracking" open the various connections on the fuel distributor to verify flow. Do you have a spare WUR you can swap in?

And uh, I've done this before...had too much faith in my fuel gauge..and um..yeah...took a while to discover I was out of go-go juice.

My car doesn't have a plug so how on Earth did you drain the tank?

How about rusty crud-goop plugging your fuel pump intake?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is the fuel pump working at all?

My car is a non turbo so as far as I know it has no WUR. the car started running poorly in July, I had done the fuel pump in March, I went back to the tank, drained the gas with a 110 volt pump, removed the pump & mount & checked for debris, no change in running cond.I could drive it with 1/3 to 1/4 throttle, any more & it would go slower, as in a too rich mixture It finally got so bad I could no longer drive the car & took it to a shop that diagnosed a bad Fuel Distributor, I got a used one, 2 actually, they installed it, no change, a comp. test showed 1 very low cyl. so I found a 23K mile used motor in mint cond. (mine had 342K) after they installed it they could not get it to run & I towed it home. there is fuel coming through, there is spark, plugs are very black, sooty but dry, I've been checking for bad wiring to a sensor have yet to find one, I'm getting ready to give up & buy another car, a Quattro, but I really love my 5000 & want my car back
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Is the fuel pump working at all?

Try disconnecting catalytic converter at downpipe and fire up engine, It seems to me that part is kaput due to mileage wear and tear. That would explain a decreasing performance and a non running replacement engine. Let us know if this doesn't work and I will brainstorm some more.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 PM

proably check the 02 sensor also as that can cause rich running problems
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My bad, wasn't paying attention..son non-turbo then.

You've still got to have a WUR. It's that thingy on the Dside of the engine with two stainless fuel lines running to & from the fuel dizzy.

875kcstq made a good call on the cat, absolutely worth a shot but it's also entirely possible that your replacement fuel distributor is also pooched or at least gummed up from sitting around somewhere.

When you say you've done the fuel pump does that mean you replaced it with a new or used unit?

I'd have to guess at it being a fuel pressure issue. Can you beg/borrow/steal a test device?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: proably check the 02 sensor also as that can cause rich running problems

I will check cat & o2 sensor but they were both replaced in '05
Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default new parts

fuel pump was new when installed,& filter, also new fuel accumulator, used FD, DPR & FR all very clean from parts car, there have been 4 different FD/DPR units tried, after studying Bentley I'm sure WUR is only for Turbo. I am getting fuel, when I remove 1 plug & it runs for 20 seconds I can see fuel spraying out of spark plug hole
Old 01-31-2007, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1987 5000S Q Welcome to my nightmare

I had a similar problem with my car, total loss of power and many starting problems which is one of the reasons I went to a turbo motor, as I had to redo a lot of the NF wiring. Basically there are 2 computers, ECU and ICU. the ICU is on the drivers side and is small, 25 pin connector into a black box. Mine was filled with water, however the car was still running... somewhat. Anyways maybe check the connector terminals on it, for any blue gooies.

Also when you do this
"have posted previously on my non start problem, still non starting,cam timing & crank marks, distr. marks OK, ECU first gives 4444, re insert fuse gives 1111"

You get 4444 .. thats ok then re insert the fuse and get 1111 .. which I also got ... but reinsert the fuse again to check the 2nd bank for errors. I have seen 4444 1111 nothing then a code... basically I did the reinsert fuse until the sequence is done ... you know its done when the engine light no longer flashes (end of sequence) .. that way you've gone through the entire sequence.

HTH,
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1987 5000S Q Welcome to my nightmare

Assuming you have spark? Hall sensors can be troublesome in the turbo 44's, believe similar setup in the NA setup. Might want to try a another dist if you can get your hands on one to try. Once they start going they can become somewhat intermittent problems, or just go dead. Need to test it with a LED setup. Bentley describes the setup, as does Scott Mockrys site.

Where are you in the Hudson Valley? (I'm in the Kingston Area)

Eric

Quick Reply: 1987 5000S Q Welcome to my nightmare