side window attachment to metal thingy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side window attachment to metal thingy

I took my 86 Coupe for a drive the other day to just play with the snow tires and my drivers side window crashed to the bottom of the door. Apparently the window froze in place (this is Minnesota) so when I pushed the switch to lower the window, the window stayed in place and the metal bracket that holds the window to the track went on down; then when the ice thawed out, the window went on down - not to come back up. In Minnesota, when the temp is hovering around zero, it's real nice to have a window in the up position! I removed the inside panel and put the window back in the metal bracket and am now leaving the window up. My question is if there is some kind of glue or caulk to hold the glass into the metal channel as I don't want this to happen again every time the window decides to stick in place? I would also like to replace the weatherstripping channels and rubber blade at the bottom of the window if I can find the parts - I haven't checked all the usual sources yet.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent done much searching but I think the window squeegee strip is nla
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You don't want the window to go down.

I removed my power window switches from the console. I ended up having the car on the road all summer (due to rising gas prices). Yep - I'm nuts. 83 cgt, with sunroof thank god.

Why? I wasn't sure if the power windows worked - now that car's in winter storage I should probably find out. I didn't want some shop or valee' asking me why the windows don't go back up.

Hey - your CGT looks really nice. I'm imagining it has some wide ronal R8s on it.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You don't want the window to go down.

Actually in the picture, which was taken I think at Brainerd, I have 15" Speedlines with Victoracers which is my typical track combination. I actually use my stock 14" Ronals for my snow tires (Blizzak's) and I have 15" Italia AT's for my street tires with Potenza S03's on them.

I assume I could put the window back in the channel with some clear silicone, or I could look for a used window that still has the channel attached.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: You don't want the window to go down.

I have replaced both of my window switches - they stop working after a while and new ones were still available and pretty cheap at the dealer. I have also replaced both of my window regulators over the past few years with aftermarket units - about $150 apiece - well worth it.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Correct, I checked on the squidgee strip recently and it is NLA but thanks to Blewtoon...

if I ever find an OEM or good alternative, I have the correct mounting clips!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Where did you get them?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Epoxy the metal thingy to the window.

Make sure you have some sort of reference to put the metal thing back in the same place, then really clean the window and the metal bit well.

Epoxy the metal thinkg back on to the glass in the same place as it originally was, and you should be good.

Silicon goop *may* work, but I'd think it wouldn't glue as well. On the other hand, you'd stand a chance on gettin it apart again if you messed up it's position on the glass.. :-)
Old 01-02-2009, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The glue one uses for holgin mirrors on windsreens may work well...and hes quick round Mid-oh...!

Unfortunately I have experience with mirrors popping off in the 5K.. mines on the floor currently..lol

But that glue may work. or 5200... you probably have that laying around..!

If gas stays cheap, i'll make Road America this year.. remember Mid Oh entry opens 1 march..!

Hal
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: The glue one uses for holgin mirrors on windsreens may work well...and hes quick round Mid-oh...

That mirror glue sounds pretty good; the dried up part that is still there looks kind of like it too; I'll try that - or epoxy as Frank suggested.
I put March 1 on my calendar, but that is a Sunday. We'll have to verify if they want a Feb 28 or Mar 2 postmark. I may only get to one event this year, but I'm hoping to get back to mid-O and I'd like to get back to Blackhawk Farms again; I've only been there twice, but it's such a fun track for these little low-horsepower cars. But then I didn't get to Road America last year, so I'm due to get back there again - I've only missed twice in 10 years.
With this economy, my architecture biz is really slow which dramatically cuts into the fun funds - so I will have to really think about where I can take the car this year. . .

Quick Reply: side window attachment to metal thingy