was putting in my suspension finally and oops

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default was putting in my suspension finally and oops

hi guys sorry for that double post about a trip to colorado. So I was installing my new shocks last night and made one of those mistakes you catch after you do it wouldnt your know. My brain on autopilot I hit the front right cv axle shaft with a hammer thinking i could push it out of the hub assembly. Now my inner cv is kinked, what are my options as an axle shaft might not be near me and what tool do you use to take those allen bolts off?
The last question is the cars a 84 4000s quatro and can I swap the axle shafts from the back to the front ?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on whether it's been replaced before and which manufacturer was used, it's most likely a triple square. That's 12 points, NOT a torx (six points). Some aftermarket kits come with socket cap (allen) screws, so you really have to clean the heads off well and visually verify. Using the wrong one will result in stripping it out and many headaches.

The axles don't swap front to back as the outer splines are different sizes.

I'm unsure what you mean by the CV being "kinked", can you take a photo? Any damage to it will most likely require its replacement, but they're fairly cheap from AutoZone or the like. Just bring in the old one for the core discount.

-Rog
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's the kinked CV axle I rebuilt the old one and heres the before picture

I need wheel bearings now , the noise of dragging brakes and a faint tornado siren sound. I don't have access to a hydraulic press , is there any other option to removing them ? Can I drive it like this to Colorado?
Also side note, I replaced the strut mounts now it sounds like Its binding or rubbing the body when the wheel is turned to lock.

Last edited by road2speed; 12-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I just don't understand what's messed up about it... They're pretty tough, so I can't imagine the shaft bending or whatever just from being hit with a hammer...

There's no away around using a press for the wheel bearings. Having done it recently (and westco4K can attest to this), they are IN there. You might be able to get the old ones out since it doesn't matter if you destroy them, but getting new ones in would be a challenge. You won't be able to hammer them in, I know that.

Are you sure it's the wheel bearings and not the CV or even just the brake disc dust cover rubbing?

-Rog
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hit the axle pretty hard wish i hadnt . I will definitely double check to make sure the backing plates are not touching , wouldn't be the first time. Its been alil heck tick i have to work 7 days strait and the day after Christmas which is the day we plan to leave. i could be mis diagnosing things for sure.
I know so far the metallic noise starts as long as im moving and doesnt change with e-brake, brake, acceleration, coasting and turning the wheel (Ill tripple check the backing plate )
Then around 30--45 ( about the speed a wheel bearing starts to talk) it sound like a tornado siren very faint ,but distinct and its intermittent of all things
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a wheel bearing. As for the cv axle, I wouldnt reccomend autozone on that particular part. The left front I bought a few monthes back seemed great untill I tightened the axle nut. The wheel couldn't even turn under the engine's power because the outside machining of the new hub didn't clear the backside of the 4k strut assembly. I had a hunch if I exchanged it they would send me another one just like the last. Ended up getting a refund and sending my old one out on a re-build/return thru napa. it took longer, was a little more expensive thanks to the shipping but it works and I am much happier.