New Guy With QUazzy Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it!!!!

Originally Posted by Sharkbite
The madness has begun!

I'm living vicariously through you. I always wanted to do this with my 86 Coupe, but took the lazy route and stuck with cars that already have Quattro. This looks like fun. Keep it up!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I have a feeling there will be a lot of closet followers to this build.

I have had my first blunder. Well kindof. Showing my complete ignorance to the Quattro world. Upon more research and laying under the car pondering. The 5000 swap I have acquired will not be the complete swap I had hoped for. The suspension on the 4000 is completely different. Go figure So much so that the 5000 will have to be used for the motor and turbo parts only.

Oh well, at least I have those pieces I can use. And maybe along the way I will find someone that needs the trans and rear diff, etc.?

Not to worry tho. This project is still a go. I have made a deal for a complete 4000 Quattro with tons of extras and a bunch of killer suspension goodies. Extra trans and diff in 411 gear ratio, K&W full coilovers and sways, Ground control coilover setup, all delrin and aluminum sub and control arm bushings, small bumpers, euro lights, and a lot more. I'll probably part out a ton of stuff from these cars to make the build if anyone needs parts. Make a list.

Stay tuned for updates. And blunders along the way too I'm sure
Old 04-25-2014, 05:55 PM
No Bozos!

Indeed the 5k is wider, but similar. The 4k will have the geometry you want . However the CGT since it is not Quattro will have a completely different setup. You be either making your own perches or swapping out the floor pan from your donor
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM
No Bozos!

While you are thinking about it decide which hubs and axles you plan on using. The 4kq will be 4x108 hubs and the 5ktq will be 5x112
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite
I'll probably part out a ton of stuff from these cars to make the build if anyone needs parts.
I am recently in need of a left tail light lens for my 86 4000 if you've got one!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I still don't have the 4000 in front of me. But I have been thinking. I think instead of cutting the floor out of the 4000 and the windshield, "A" pillars, etc.
Would be easier to cut the quarters, doors, and rear roof off the 4k and then shorten the chassis. Then cut the quarters, rear, roof, and "B" pillars from the Coupe GT and attach them to the 4000 and use the coupe doors. Assuming the front of the door sill area is the same.?
The amount of work on the roof and quarters will be extensive either way. But this way I do not have to cut out the entire floor of both cars and replace.

Of course I could always just shorten the coupe and tube chassis the car. Then I wouldn't need the floor from the 4000. But I like the thought of the first way better.

Not sure if I'm going 4 or 5 lug yet. I have 4 sets of 4x108 wheels and none in the 5x112.
I'm guessing all the components from the 5k are beefier than the 4k? Probably worth the effort to swap.? Are the brake calipers the same? will the 5k stubs press into the 4k bearings? If you have any info on doing that swap it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joeltron
I am recently in need of a left tail light lens for my 86 4000 if you've got one!
Should have you covered. I'll know when I get the car home. I know there is an extra set of late tails that go across the entire back of the car. But the originals are still on it too. I'll hit you up as soon as I have the car. probably a couple weeks if you can wait that long.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would be easier to cut the quarters, doors, and rear roof off the 4k and then shorten the chassis. Then cut the quarters, rear, roof, and "B" pillars from the Coupe GT and attach them to the 4000 and use the coupe doors.

This is the way to go. It has been done. If you search around enough you'll find it; I think it was on motorgeek.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if I'm going 4 or 5 lug yet. I have 4 sets of 4x108 wheels and none in the 5x112.
I'm guessing all the components from the 5k are beefier than the 4k? Probably worth the effort to swap.? Are the brake calipers the same? will the 5k stubs press into the 4k bearings? If you have any info on doing that swap it would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

4x108 doesn't belong on a turbo car IMO. The only decent 195/60/14 tire I have found is the Falken RT615K, nothing else really available in that size. For the 5 lug swap, you can use the hubs, and larger Girling g60 brake calipers(vs. the G54's that you have)and rotors off of the 5000. You'll have to do a little grinding on the strut housing for clearance, and get new ball joints (IIRC ur-Quattro).
Old 05-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Little update. No cutting yet just tear down. Ok a bit of cutting.

Quick Reply: New Guy With QUazzy Thoughts