New Guy With QUazzy Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy With QUazzy Thoughts

Hey Men,
Been building all types of cars for 30 years from big block Cuda's to Big turbo Z cars to diesel MK1 Rabbits, etc. But never an Audi.

My son who is 17 has grown up with me in the garage watching and learning and has the same general passion for customizing and enjoying cars as I do.
Being a huge VW dork I have had quite a few. My son took a liking to a MK1 Scirocco I had. But at 6'2" he was a bit big for it. But a buddy of mine had a Coupe GT so we struck a deal and hauled it home. That was last year.
We got the car running and my son regularly drove it around our 5 acres flat field with intentions of building it into something different.
Well a few days ago I was driving and seen another Coupe GT sitting in a mans back yard. I stopped and we made a deal. Hauled it home. Now we have 2 Coupe GT's! I mean what else could be better than 1 of anything?

They are both in great condition for builders. But not in the condition for a simple refurb and drive. And since we have 2 we would really like to have 1 street car and 1 Nasty Fire Breathing Monster! Did I mention we live at Deals Gap US Highway 129. The Dragon!

I told all this to a friend of mine and he comes back with. I have a complete 5000 Turbo Quattro motor, trans, rear diff and drive line as well as both sub frames and complete suspension. He sends me a few pics and sure enough. He Does!

So I know everybody that ever had a coupe GT has dreamed of building it into an S1 car or URQ crazyness. And I'm sure the "Can I Swap It?" question has been beat to death too. I have done quite a bit of reading and research and I know it will be a major undertaking. That does not shy me away in the least. So any help with ideas and links to builds etc. are Greatly Appreciated!

So my first question. Would a 5000Q Everything be worth using as our motor and running gear? And what are the major differences in the 4000 and 5000 in suspension and trans etc?

Here's a few of my past builds.
tc

Last edited by Sharkbite; 05-02-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's a pic of the swap my buddy has. I'm assuming it's a 5k but it has 4 lug so ??

Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Early 5000s were 4-lugs, so that's likely what it is. Being a turbo, that's the only option really. Check what the engine code is. If it's a KH then it's the early and rare 2.1. Otherwise it'll pretty much have to be the 2.2 MC with one knock sensor.

I can't tell you what the early 5000 suspension is like, but the later ones are very similar to the 4000 in the front, such that you can swap most of the strut assemblies for an easy 5-lug swap (the rears just have the hub swapped). I don't know about the rears. If you're trying to go quattro you'll pretty much have to get a 4000q for the floor pan anyway, unless you want to build it by hand.

The turbo engine would swap straight across if you just wanted to do that. What all were you thinking?

-Rog
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would really like the Quattro setup. I can build mounting points in the rear for the subframe he has.
Highly considering an Group B car. If that's the way we go we will be shortening the car. So major metal fabing will be involved anyway.
I would like a bolt up setup for the front end tho.
Wonder if the 5000 Q trans will fit the GT? Or if the subframe up front will fit the GT.? I did notice the top strut mounts are different so if I use the 5k strut setup I will have to make some towers to accept the adjustable 5k mounts.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, the trans would fit if you're modifying the floorpan to make it quattro. It's the same family of transmission, just FWD versus quattro.

Definitely post pics as you dive into it. I've never seen a quattro conversion get finished, so it would be awesome to see.

-Rog
Old 04-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great! so the trans will work. So I can probably use the original struts etc at first just to get it rolling. It will end up with adjustable camber plates and heim joint control arms by the time it's over.
I'm sure there have been quite a few abandoned Quat projects just because of the amount of fab work alone. I won't make the first cut until I have a real good idea of where I'm going with it. And it's just metal. I have welded miles of it.

I did find a 4kCS donor car for sale but by the time I get it home 300 miles it's just too expensive to cut it all up.

I'll start a build thread once we get started.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone happen to know the wheelbase on the S1 Group B cars? Only thing I can find is it is 32cm shorter than the URQ.
I measured the wheel base of the Coupe GT and it's about 100". My Rabbit is 95". If I shorten the Coupe 32cm it will be 7.6" shorter than my Rabbit in wheelbase!! Sounds really Short! And fun!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
No Bozos!

You'll definitely want to talk to Martin. He attempted this and gave up. He can elaborate. He's either on here or the other site. Try over there and shout his name.

You will be looking at a floor pan swap for all the mounting points. Motor and tranny swap are easy compared to that.

While it makes for a fun albeit very involved job, you may be better off finding a B chassis car or a 4KQ and just make a killer fwd from the 2 GT's. Starting with a chassis that started life as a Quattro will let you spend more time on the go fast part rather than the grunt stuff. A 4KQ with a 20V turbo swap would knock your socks off. And it's been done so you would have a basis for support.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I have no idea what the other site is.

Just really want to know what the wheelbase is on the S1 Group B cars.? Anyone?

Quick Reply: New Guy With QUazzy Thoughts