Swap question, what will go in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap question, what will go in?

First, i know the auid I5 is a wonderful engine so dont hate me for asking. I would like to pull the 2.3 before it dies completely one day and rebuild it and save it. What v8 engines will bolt to the the stock transmission? Ive heard the stock transmission is very strong, but would it be able to handle 300-350 ft-lbs of torque safely?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any V8 will fit (I'd go for the 4.2, why not?), as well as any 5-cylinder of course. A V6 would be another option. The transmission is plenty strong for that amount of power. Nice thing about the V8 is that it weighs less than the 5-cylinder, so you're getting a lot of weight off the front end in addition to the extra power.

It won't fit directly of course, but if you're comfortable doing some basic fabrication for the engine mounts and radiator, et cetera, it's not super difficult. I don't think I've ever seen it done in a CGT, so it would be different.

I would personally build the NG into a 20vt (simply add a 7A head plus turbo and a few other bits), which you could do pretty reasonably and without having to remove the engine from the car. Of course you might want to refresh the bottom end just so you won't have to touch it again. But you're starting with a tank of an engine, so anything more would be icing.

You could even do the franken-20vt on CIS if you wanted, though CIS takes some dedication and not everyone is up for it. For max power you'd definitely want to step up to a standalone like Megasquirt and that would be the easiest anyway.

Lots of directions to go...

-Rog
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks rog! I would indeed swap the 4.2L in if i could get my hands on one and gather all the components i would need. Do you thing i could weld the 2.3 mounts to the 4.2 mounts like a half and half deal so they fit correctly? With the exhaust it has it already sounds like a small v8 so i might as well back up its bark. It would be one hell of a CGT. The 20v swap is too easy and not enough gain for me.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool, I'm all for it then. The thread that you'll want to stay up until the wee hours of the morning reading is this one:

http://www7.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44431

Of course you can go as crazy as you want, but that will at least show you what the fitment and results will be like. I think their solution for the engine mounts is about as easy and simple as you could get. Probably the hardest part is making room with the frame rails and subframe. That's all on the first page. From there on it gets into stuff that you don't necessarily need to do, but it's interesting to go through and get ideas.

It'll be cool to see at any rate.

-Rog