My coupe had an incident

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My coupe had an incident

My 86 Coupe GT coupe had an incident at the hands of my son! Now I have to decide whether to have it fixed it or part it out or pass it on the the crusher. Just taking it to a shop will cost a lot more than it is worth - but I really like the car, and it is my track car (the TT Roadster isn't allowed on the track). I have no experience with any body work, so I am at least going to look for a small shop or garage mechanic to start with; my next choice is to offer it up for sale here. It is definitely repairable and restorable, although it is starting to show rust in all the usual places. Any advice from anyone here. (I live in Minneapolis by the way.) -John B

, , , ,
Old 08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't look as though it will be hard to fix the car. I would definitely not get rid of her.

It looks like you need the stainless bright work, both lights, a left marker light, and a gentle pull on the rad support. The hood is salvagable, even the driver's fender looks as though it can be fixed, the bumper skin is repairable, you may need a grill and the trim around the lights. But the car doesn't appear to have any major damage, it looks as though the hit was high enough that it will all be glass, plastic and sheetmetal, and not a lot more.

The reflector blanks have gone MIA, as did the lower valences in the bumper skin. Just a matter of locating the parts. Some of which I may be able to help with.

Best of luck, and I hope you keep the car.

Cheers,

Ted
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
98 Volvo C70 Coupe HPT
Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will go ahead and remove the grille, bumper and any other parts I can in order to get a good assessment of what I need. I have no idea how to straighten the radiator support/structure behind the grill, but I'll talk to a small body shop nearby that someone referred to me about that and the fender and hood; bolting and unbolting I can do, although they are likely pretty rusty. I'll check with local body shops or Anderson's or on-line for the bumper and grille and other plastic items and the stainless trim. I have the reflectors. The bumper skin I think will survive although most of the skinny verticals that connect the lower part to the main part of the bumper are broken at the top - any way to to fix those (some were broken before)?
It would probably be a good time to change over to European lights if I can find some at a reasonable cost.
Other issues to address later maybe are the rusty door sills and rust at the top of the rear wheel wells. And then a repaint of the entire car would be nice.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That support is just a pull, you don't need to go to a body shop for that. Just yank it hard in the middle, it will give.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I hope your son was not too shaken by the incident...

I know mine would be devestated; not by the accident so much, but for "trashing" the beloved Coupe. Actually, you/he are very lucky as this really wasn't very serious.
Regarding the battle damage...I agree with the others that the car looks worth saving. If you're in need of parts, put up the bat-signal and I'll try to help. I have 1 DOT headlight and corner, graphite hood and fenders with some hail damage, and maybe some other stuff available. Dayton, Ohio.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will start taking things apart this weekend and try yanking on that support metal - and I see I will need another support bracket for the power steering pump - it's cracked - before I drive it too far.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes he had his first track experience in that car at Brainerd last year and I was planning on taking it there again this fall for the nationals. It hasn't been on a track this summer due to lack of cash. He attended our chapter's Teen Driving School here a few years ago too and should've known better to pay attention to his driving rather than the plentiful scenery around the lake on a nice summer day where he rear-ended the other car! He was plenty embarrassed but not hurt.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may need some of those parts. For now, I feel like an idiot because I can't figure out how to remove hardly anything: headlight assemblies, corner lights, bumper skin and plastic and ss trim! I don't have a Bentley, but perhaps I need one - where would I get that or good pictorial help about how to remove/reinstall all the front end parts?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for delayed reply. I did not realize you had sent a pm. If you still need any parts, just let me know. You probably already sourced what you need by now, but I thought I would follow up.

I sent you a pm yesterday, so you will have my e-mail address if you want to contact me off list.

Sorry again for the delayed reply.

Cheers,

Ted
86 Coupe GT
90 V8q
98 Volvo C70 HPTM
Old 09-21-2009, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Parts Available

I am a new member to the forum and have a 1986 GT Coupe I am parting out. I think I have all you need to repair your coupe. Would be interested in talking to you. I am located in Emerald Isle , NC. Not sure where you are but parts would be very resinable!!! You can reach me at gbrown248@ec.rr.com

Regards,

Granpa.