My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this is where it sits at the moment...

As soon as things start thawing in the next couple months I'll be making a push to finish it.

Also, wow, coming up in 16,000 views to this thread! Please post if this project has helped you in any way.

-Rog

Last edited by Rogviler; 03-03-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your thread sure did help me! At least in motivating myself to keep my own build going! You can follow it by typing 4KQGTDI-M in a Gooogle search. Hopefully for me I have a little garage with a stove where I can work during crappy weather when I'm not too busy carrying wood or plowing snow...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad we could help each other out then. I'll never forget that cardboard intercooler tip.

I look in on your build on MG from time to time. You've certainly impressed a lot of people on there, which is hard to do. I also like your intercooler pipe tool. Did that work to create a bead? I ended up just flaring mine, which seems to work fine. Would have been nice to have thought of that though.

That will be an awesome car when it's all done.

-Rog
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I used my bead tool to make a coolant hose copper coupler and it worked pretty nice. The boss made with weld is rounded so it makes sooth crimps. I've already seen flared pipes on an Audi TT and with time it cuts in the hose couplers so if it happens to you, you'd better re-straighten your pipes and find good'ole vise grips to make yourself a tool like mine. What's cool with it is that it works on any pipe size from 3/4" unlike the exhaust clamp+fender washer type.

I may do some beads on the aluminium pipes today when I'm done with my custom downpipe. You'll can see it all on MG by the end of the day.

Cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Time for a top secret project...

I wasn't happy with a couple things on my intercooler's affect on the bumper. One is that it stuck out the bottom a good amount, and the other was that it made it bulge in the middle due to touching the bumper on the sides.

So I got to looking at this (RS2 bumper):

And then cut up a perfectly good 4000 bumper...

And then cut into a second perfectly good 4000 bumper...

It wouldn't stay straight with just tape, but you get the idea. It was just something I was batting around in my head, but it is actually going to fit perfectly and solve all my problems. Just needs lots and lots of bumper adhesive now.

-Rog
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I guess nobody else sees my vision... These are the very rough stages, admittedly.

I got both sides cut. Just waiting for the glue. So much for the two-day shipping. Thanks Amazon.

A mock-up with tape and a stick:

-Rog
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Rog, its been a while since ive been on here! I like the bumper idea, i see your vision! looks like it will work really good once its all together. My 4000 is still alive, just a bit rough right now
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Of course I see your vision, I wouldnt have contributed too said vision if I didnt believe in its super bad-assness! The problem is this place is full of a bunch of lurkers. . . everyone wants to watch but not interact, and you and I seem like the only ones moving forward on a 4k 'round here. . . . not like I have updated my build in a while over here on AW but maybe when the site starts running smoothly again I'll start posting my recent progress.

Lookin good man, as always. Can't wait to take a ride this summer
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys. Yes, this summer for sure. In fact if the snow would go away it would probably be sooner. Seems like the second it melts, here comes some more. Maybe I'm just getting older, but the quattro mantra of constantly trying to get stuck somewhere and then talking about it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I just have to focus on what's going to get it driving rather than the full package of body work and paint.

-Rog
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Starting to get some of the bumper glued together, starting with the center section:

I wish I could lift the car up about four feet in the air, it would make it a lot easier to line all this stuff up...

-Rog

Quick Reply: My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project